Menu

TOG vs. VP vs. SOTW vs. Diana Waring for history?

Aloha2U

Could anyone please tell me the differences in these history curriculums. When and why do YOU choose to use them? Which grades/levels do you implement them?

Tapestry of Grace

Veritas Press

Story of the World

Diana Waring

-------

Thank you, Melissa

I really appreciate the biblical integration of TOG. I also love that I can use SOTW with TOG. I am not a fan of Diana Waring. She actually has a workshop on teaching from a Christian perspective that comes down quite hard against the classical method. I don't think she really understands that classical homeschoolers can also teach from a very Christian worldview.

Also, Diana Waring has some ideas that she is quite passionate about that I'm not really sold on. She holds tight to the verse about there being nothing new under the sun and has interpreted that to mean that all of our technology today is old and was present on earth before the flood. She also points to some archeological finds as proof of this - but it's very sketchy proof. Like the rock that someone found with a sparkplug in it (funny enough, near a Ford factory). No one could really verify that this was authentic and, surprise, it was eventually lost, but she insists that it also proves that there is nothing new under the sun. I really really do not want to use faulty logic to "prove" biblical teaching. I would much rather say something like, "wouldn't it be cool if there were sparkplugs before the flood?" emphasizing the fact that we don't really know that this particular piece of "evidence" was real or not.

And her enthusiasm is a little too lively for me. Give me the SOTW CDs any day (Barbara or Jim - they're both fantastic).

Melissa, what ages/grades are your dc? It would be easier to reply if specify what you need. That way people can discuss things that apply to you. If you're wanting more general or broad information, don't forget Cathy Duffy's reviews and top picks books. Not that I agree with everything, but it would help you get the big picture.

Melissa, what ages/grades are your dc? It would be easier to reply if specify what you need. That way people can discuss things that apply to you. If you're wanting more general or broad information, don't forget Cathy Duffy's reviews and top picks books. Not that I agree with everything, but it would help you get the big picture.

Just trying to get general information on what's available for history curriculum in the realm of the christian, classical approach... what are their main differences... and what is covered and when. I believe that I am getting a much better understanding though, from this thread and others on the forum.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but it's my understanding that TOG isn't just History but it has other subjects incorporated as well. Is it possible to do the history program without the extras? So far I like VP the best and since I already plan to use most of their materials recommended for others subjects (with the exception of SWR for LA), it seems that I am most likely just going to stay the course with VP entirely. One observation on VP's history is that they do a whole year of geography for 1st (I like this idea and the materials too) and then start with the OT/AE history in 2nd. However, I noticed that easyclassical.com, who follows some of VP recommendations, start geography in K. Does STOW and TOG incorporate geography and if so when?

Questions for VP users:

If you've used VP's history what do you like or dislike about it? Did you follow their suggestions completely or did you change things up a bit and how? Did you start with Geography in K or 1st? Oh also, what pattern does VP follow? (ex. SOTW has 4 periods with 3 rotations)

Although this may be rough planning for the future, I like to be well prepared and educated in the different materials available to us. Please know that your responses are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Melissa

I do not know much about Waring, but I started with VP, went to SOTW for a few years and now I am going to start TOG this fall. Vp seemed exciting at first, but was hard to use for multiple grades, we were using it earlier than recommended and it was not a good fit, also, I didn't like the idea of just "learning the card".

I still like sotw,and have now gone thru all 4 volumes, some more thoroughly than others, and it was good. We listen in the car even in the summer. I still plan on using sotw with TOG...but one of the above writers is correct, TOG incorporates other subjects...vocab, writing,geography, some grammar, church history, worldview, and fine arts. It seems very appealing to me with having many children and a variety of ages. I can keep us all on the same topic, but at the right level for each child. Plus it fills in many gaps that I was having a hard time filling, esp writing. I like the God-centeredness, and the already laid out plan.....I used TQ too, but it was too much info. Now I feel like I will be able to say at the end of the year, that I know I got through it ( I hope).

I really appreciate the biblical integration of TOG. I also love that I can use SOTW with TOG. I am not a fan of Diana Waring. She actually has a workshop on teaching from a Christian perspective that comes down quite hard against the classical method. I don't think she really understands that classical homeschoolers can also teach from a very Christian worldview.

Also, Diana Waring has some ideas that she is quite passionate about that I'm not really sold on. She holds tight to the verse about there being nothing new under the sun and has interpreted that to mean that all of our technology today is old and was present on earth before the flood. She also points to some archeological finds as proof of this - but it's very sketchy proof. Like the rock that someone found with a sparkplug in it (funny enough, near a Ford factory). No one could really verify that this was authentic and, surprise, it was eventually lost, but she insists that it also proves that there is nothing new under the sun. I really really do not want to use faulty logic to "prove" biblical teaching. I would much rather say something like, "wouldn't it be cool if there were sparkplugs before the flood?" emphasizing the fact that we don't really know that this particular piece of "evidence" was real or not.

And her enthusiasm is a little too lively for me. Give me the SOTW CDs any day (Barbara or Jim - they're both fantastic).

Hi Sarah! I was wondering if that DW story was on the old tapes or the new cds. We've been enjoying her for years, but I've never heard that story.

thanks!

(BTW, I think that DW's actual curriculum would be 5th grade and up, but her cds are a great way to integrate Biblical and secular history. My ds loves them).

I have to agree it's hard to know which one to choose! I'm feel like I'm starting behind everyone else since many people have started this program in K, and my eldest dd is now entering 3rd grade! Am I too late to start all over?

WOW!!

We too have been listening to Diana Waring for years and I somehow missed the Ford Factory detail!!

That aside whether true or false, I have found NO curriculum to be 100% accurate. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! DW tapes and guides. The full program is meant for 5th and up, but there are wbs for elementary children that are just great.

Diana has done a fantastic job at lining up Biblical and secular history and shows God's hand in ALL of history better than any other curriculum I have seen. Her updated guides are soooo much better than the older ones. The articles in the guides are fantastic, and the program is broken up into 9 units in each guide. Each unit has 4 weekly phases which address all types of learners. Have you seen the samples at her website? You can download the first unit of the two updated guides, both the teachers and students. You can also listen to samples of the cds.

I could not be happier with all that we have done with DW!!!

Oh I wanted to add that:

Answers in Genesis (Ken Ham organization) was so pleased with Diana's work that they teamed up with her to create an AIG version of her guides and cds!!!!!!! They are basically the same content just different layout with a few pluses, and a few added tracks to the AIG cds. You can view samples at the AIG website store. :o)

Okay Sarah,

I just got through listening to Track 3 of True Tales named Ancient Man. This is the track that tells about the artifact found in a rock that is like a spark plug. Nowhere on this track is a Ford Factory mentioned. Nor is it told that the artifact turned up missing. Can I ask where you got your info?

Whether you believe "Nothing new under the sun" can be interpreted literally or not, I wonder about your source that spoke of the Ford factory. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks!

WOW!!

We too have been listening to Diana Waring for years and I somehow missed the Ford Factory detail!!

That aside whether true or false, I have found NO curriculum to be 100% accurate. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! DW tapes and guides. The full program is meant for 5th and up, but there are wbs for elementary children that are just great.

Diana has done a fantastic job at lining up Biblical and secular history and shows God's hand in ALL of history better than any other curriculum I have seen. Her updated guides are soooo much better than the older ones. The articles in the guides are fantastic, and the program is broken up into 9 units in each guide. Each unit has 4 weekly phases which address all types of learners. Have you seen the samples at her website? You can download the first unit of the two updated guides, both the teachers and students. You can also listen to samples of the cds.

I could not be happier with all that we have done with DW!!!

Oh I wanted to add that:

Answers in Genesis (Ken Ham organization) was so pleased with Diana's work that they teamed up with her to create an AIG version of her guides and cds!!!!!!! They are basically the same content just different layout with a few pluses, and a few added tracks to the AIG cds. You can view samples at the AIG website store. :o)

I saw the AiG/DW version and thought that I may want to try it in the future, but not sure how I would incorporate it w/VP. Any suggestions?

OT... I'm also planning on using AiG's God's Design for Science series.

Thanks,

Melissa

We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! DW tapes and guides. The full program is meant for 5th and up, but there are wbs for elementary children that are just great.

Diana has done a fantastic job at lining up Biblical and secular history and shows God's hand in ALL of history better than any other curriculum I have seen. Her updated guides are soooo much better than the older ones. The articles in the guides are fantastic, and the program is broken up into 9 units in each guide. Each unit has 4 weekly phases which address all types of learners. Have you seen the samples at her website? You can download the first unit of the two updated guides, both the teachers and students. You can also listen to samples of the cds. I could not be happier with all that we have done with DW!!!

What ages/levels did you use DW? If DW is meant for 5th and up, what did you use for the earlier ages/grades?

Melissa

Hi Melissa, Hope you didn't think I was being snippy there. I'm glad you filled in with that extra info and your sig, because now your question makes sense! You know, the thing about starting into this is you don't know WHEN something is good. All those programs are good, but that doesn't mean they're all the best for a given stage or age, kwim? Take the new Diana Waring stuff from AiG. Good stuff, but the target is way older than first, lol. In fact, with an only I think you're talking more like junior high! So they're you're not talking about combining, but figuring out when. Her other tapes and things might be fine earlier, not sure. I'm just commenting on the new stuff being published by AiG that I saw at the convention. I like the AiG science (though I haven't yet used it), and my two cents is it could be the same way, better at a later stage. So don't just look for what you like. Look at it seeing what AGE it's best for. It's easy to rush into things too early and find out they are much more practical later.

As far as science for K5 and 1st, well you're typically talking just supplementary there, because most kids are still learning to read. The more time they are spending on phonics, the less time they have for gravy stuff like history. The kids you hear doing history and this and that in K5 are sometimes already reading, just a word to the wise. Your MAIN focus in K5 and 1st is still the basics: math and learning to read. They have little to no concept of time at that age, and it wouldn't matter one particle whether you did history or just read fairy tales aloud to them; it's all one in the same for them at that age. So I suggest, just my word to the wise, that you start with the basics (SWR and math), get those going, and then add in other things as you have time, energy, and interest. For us, we did SWR and RS math 1st semester of K5 and started adding in things 2nd semester (geography, FLL, etc.), as her reading took off. It was like you could see the load lighten and that she was ready for more.

Did you know there's a really great yahoo group for VP users? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vp_elementary There's a big spread in how you can use the materials. Some people just use the history cards as a memory tool to spiff up their SL or whatever. Some people go to the other end and do everything in the tm's, including the worksheets, projects, etc. Some people are in the middle, letting the cards schedule their history, using the spine readings and summaries on the back, but not necessarily doing EVERYTHING (or even anything, hehe) in the tm's. And you know, I think ALL these are valid uses of the materials! It's really about comfort zone.

I'll tell you why *I* use VP and have stuck with it all these years, and you can see if it resonates with you. I've used VP since 1st grade with my dd (OTAE, NTGR, MARR, and now starting into Explorers to 1815) because I hate history and find it's a curriculum I can wrap my brain around. For me, VP quantifies history, so I can tell exactly what I need to cover. I can see the big picture and how it all fits together. I'm so NOT a history person, so seeing the big picture helps me IMMENSELY. What's so ironic is that, if you asked on the VP list, most of those ladies are history LOVERS! Go figure, lol. And my dd is too, crazy! And if I could summarize what I *think* it is these ladies like about VP, it's that it lets a history lover go deeper into topics and real delve in. Instead of doing a lot of topics every week superficially, you focus on one or two plus a few rabbit trails, and really aim for depth and retention. And I'll tell you, retention is the BIG POINT with VP. They're about doing less times through but really focusing and getting retention. That's why they have the memory work, the worksheets, etc. I'm not saying it's better, just pointing that out so you can see.

TOG is fine, but you really don't need to invest that much and wade through so much for just a K5 or 1st grader. Sure you COULD, but it would be about YOU. Many, many moms get TOG too early and burn out, so just keep that in mind. Remember, in the early years, your focus is still the basics: LA and math. EVERYTHING else is gravy! It's so easy to think you have to be doing more. And if you have a dc who is ready for more, you want to take your time and figure out what that something more is, kwim? Every kid seems to have their own ways they like interacting with materials. My dd wants to build it, live it, oh my. Some kids like coloring or paper crafts. You can take the simplest materials and make them fit your kids quite elegantly if you just figure out what it is your kids want, kwim?

SOTW is fine, and obviously I'm one of the minority around here who doesn't use it a ton, hehe... I have vol. 1 and 2 and let dd read them. They just weren't my cuppa tea and didn't click with my dd. Like I said, for me I needed something quantifiable, not open-ended, and VP keeps me comfortable. You could get the audio cd's of it and let them listen in the car or while they play, so they get the effect but you get to use the curriculum spine (VP) you want. There are lots of ways to get there.

Some things to consider that you might not have yet. Nothing says you have to start VP OTAE in 1st or even 2nd. You might consider doing WP AS 1 and 2 (American Story 1 and 2 from Winter Promise) in 1st and 2nd. You might consider doing MFW (My Father's World) Adventures in 1st and then starting OTAE in 2nd. If you do WP AS 1 and 2 in 1st and 2nd, then you could combine VP OTAE and NTGR into one year in 3rd by leaving out the Bible cards (which presumably your dc already knows from your own Bible story reading to him), and still be right on track to hit MARR in 4th. See if you look at VP's recs and what their local school covers, they do state history, indians, community stuff (fire department, etc.) in 1st, things that are totally age-appropriate. I think doing a very hands-on, fun american history program is very compatible with that and it fits with what my dh asked me to do, which was to study american first. I didn't care if I studied ancients, as long as we did american FIRST. I'm not saying there's anything right or wrong to that, because I don't think there is. It just happens to fit nicely with waiting a year or two on the VP history. The better your dc is able to read and write, the better the VP history will go. You can do it all orally, but they'll get more out of it and you'll be glad if they can do the writing and reading. I say that as one who started OTAE in 1st (2nd semester). It was kind of a 2-edged sword starting so early, and my advice, what I intend to follow with this new baby, is what I described above to you, doing american more fully and waiting till 2nd or even 3rd for OTAE. Just something to consider.

I'll say it again: focus on the basics. I stressed too much thinking I had to "do" these gravy subjects, and you so don't have to. It wouldn't matter a fig, a particle, a bit, if all you did was read, read, read to them, kwim? But math and LA you really have to DO and do diligently. For science in K5 and 1st, I commend to you anything with Usborne, anything hands-on (read the two-page spread in Usborne and do the demonstration, nothign fancy but highly effective), and the Let's Read and Find Out books. Don't make it hard. At the age your dc is right now, you might look into WP's Animal Worlds program, which is adorable and incorporates some activity books I really like for that age. You might find it too long on one thing (animals) and need to loosen up or tweak. It would get you started though and be a lot of fun. The worksheets would be fine right where you are now, in that K4-1st range. I do think WTM's suggestion on what big categories to study each year fit really well with the way kids progress. Or at least they have for my dd. I know I didn't put stock in them early on and have seen them so right on in retrospect. So you could toss the WTM method if you want (many do), but the categories are worth considering. For instance I thought kids would just always be interested in animals, but no, they go through this intense interest phase and then they start asking about chemistry. And then when that was over she started asking about physics! It was just totally weird and so what WTM was saying would happen. So definitely consider that. Loosen up and use whatever materials you want, but consider the order and timing, as it might fit your dc.

BTW, if you spend a lot of time on history in the school year, sometimes it's easier to nail most of your science in the summer. I did the BJU3 science in May at the end of 2nd. My goal for this summer, if it works out, is to complete the BJU4 science. I'm adding in the Apologia flying critters book just because it connects so nicely and is something she can do almost independently. That's what I was saying, that sometimes materials "could" be used earlier but are easier or more spot on later, kwim? I did the Apologia Astronomy when my dd was K5 and it was totally mom-driven. We had fun, but it was all me. Now we have MORE fun, way more fun, because she can pick up the book and run with it! So that's why I was suggesting you stick to topical boooks, do the hands-on in them, and come to the formal curriculum stuff later. That's just my experience and word to the wise.

Have fun researching! :)

What ages/levels did you use DW? If DW is meant for 5th and up, what did you use for the earlier ages/grades?

Melissa

My children were 7th and up when we started using Diana's materials. I really do feel that the full program is best suited for the 5th and up that is suggested in the original and the AiG version, but the elementary wb could be used from 1st up to 4th. And the full program can educate mom so she can tell it to the kiddlets. :)

I didn't start hsing my older kiddos till the youngest was in 4th. We started with ABeka that year and then changed over to more of a unit study/ literature study approach. We have used many things. Learning Adventures, Beautiful Feet, etc. With my *least-un* :) I have plans to start her on Heart of Dakota then move on to Diana Waring at some point.

For me seeing God in HisStory is the MOST important part of our hsing. I want my kids to ooze God and the Bible through their poors. DW assist quite well with this. :D

Hi Melissa, Hope you didn't think I was being snippy there. I'm glad you filled in with that extra info and your sig, because now your question makes sense!

No problem, I should have given more info in the beginning... you're right it makes more sense!

I like the AiG science (though I haven't yet used it), and my two cents is it could be the same way, better at a later stage. So don't just look for what you like. Look at it seeing what AGE it's best for. It's easy to rush into things too early and find out they are much more practical later. As far as science for K5 and 1st, well you're typically talking just supplementary there, because most kids are still learning to read. The more time they are spending on phonics, the less time they have for gravy stuff like history. The kids you hear doing history and this and that in K5 are sometimes already reading, just a word to the wise. Your MAIN focus in K5 and 1st is still the basics: math and learning to read. They have little to no concept of time at that age, and it wouldn't matter one particle whether you did history or just read fairy tales aloud to them; it's all one in the same for them at that age. So I suggest, just my word to the wise, that you start with the basics (SWR and math), get those going, and then add in other things as you have time, energy, and interest.

I understand what you mean and I agree with you.

As far as science goes... although I plan on using God's Design for Science by AiG, it will be further down the road... not for K5 or probably even 1st... whenever I believe that ds is ready for it - I think I didn't clarify that when I mentioned it just previously.

For us, we did SWR and RS math 1st semester of K5 and started adding in things 2nd semester (geography, FLL, etc.), as her reading took off. It was like you could see the load lighten and that she was ready for more.

That's a great point, thanks for mentioning it.

Did you know there's a really great yahoo group for VP users?http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vp_elementary There's a big spread in how you can use the materials.

I did join the group a month or two ago, but sometimes forget about asking questions there. I'll try to utilize them more. BTW, hope you don't mind me asking but are you a moderator for that group?

I'll tell you why *I* use VP and have stuck with it all these years, and you can see if it resonates with you. I've used VP since 1st grade with my dd (OTAE, NTGR, MARR, and now starting into Explorers to 1815) because I hate history and find it's a curriculum I can wrap my brain around. For me, VP quantifies history, so I can tell exactly what I need to cover. I can see the big picture and how it all fits together. I'm so NOT a history person, so seeing the big picture helps me IMMENSELY.

Oh and how it resonates, this is exactly me too! This makes me feel even better about using VP.

I believe that we'll do some geography for 1st and then start OT/AE in 2nd, however, thank you for the other tips... I'll keep them in mind just in case our plans change.

I do think WTM's suggestion on what big categories to study each year fit really well with the way kids progress.

Oh, that leads me to another question OT... I am currently reading through an older version of TWTM on loan from the library. Do you recommend one version over the other (older or newer) for a helpful guide to the classical approach. Also, I've heard of Teaching the Trivium... what do you think of that guide?

BTW, if you spend a lot of time on history in the school year, sometimes it's easier to nail most of your science in the summer... That's just my experience and word to the wise.

Thanks again, you've made some great points and this is yet another helpful one. I appreciate your time, experience and wisdom! I'm sure I'll have alot more questions in the future and I hope you'll be around to comment on those as well.

In fact, I appreciate everyone's feedback. This is a great forum! I'm feeling the love! :001_smile:

Past my bedtime now... better sign off with these happy thoughts.

Melissa

Yes, I'm the moderator of the vp_elementary yahoo group. :)

If you want to do geography in K5 or 1st, you could look at Galloping the Globe (what we did), the Audio Memory Geography Songs, and consider MFW ECC. There are new things that have come out in the last few years that I'm not familiar with. You'll have tons of fun.

We've used a combo of these to create a history rich environment.

We have listened to Dianna Waring's tapes for year, mainly on long car trips -before the guides came out = ). They are worth listening to. Very enjoyable, informative and good discussion starters becasue not everyone will agree (as has already been stated) with her concusions.

We have used the VP cards to memorize a timeline (160 cards). We've spent time reading the cards, discussion the art, etc. We used the timeline cards as a jumping off point to read many biographies and historical fiction.

We have used SOTW as read-alouds and to create our own timeline from using the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures. I did get one of the activity guides to do in conjunction with the books but one of my kids hated doing the activities so we ended up skipping that.

We've also purchased the SOTW CD's and my 8 & 4 year olds have listened to them for hours as they've played.

TOG looks wonderful but I can't afford it so I haven't looked very closely :)

We've used a combo of these to create a history rich environment.

We have listened to Dianna Waring's tapes for year, mainly on long car trips -before the guides came out = ). They are worth listening to. Very enjoyable, informative and good discussion starters becasue not everyone will agree (as has already been stated) with her concusions.

We have used the VP cards to memorize a timeline (160 cards). We've spent time reading the cards, discussion the art, etc. We used the timeline cards as a jumping off point to read many biographies and historical fiction.

We have used SOTW as read-alouds and to create our own timeline from using the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures. I did get one of the activity guides to do in conjunction with the books but one of my kids hated doing the activities so we ended up skipping that.

We've also purchased the SOTW CD's and my 8 & 4 year olds have listened to them for hours as they've played.

Thank you, I'll look into these DW tapes and SOTW CDs in the future as well.

If you want to do geography in K5 or 1st, you could look at Galloping the Globe (what we did), the Audio Memory Geography Songs, and consider MFW ECC. There are new things that have come out in the last few years that I'm not familiar with. You'll have tons of fun.

BTW, My husband and I looked into Galloping the Globe and think it will actually be a great idea, so thanks again for the tip. I know I've seen others mentioning it in the forum. In fact, I looked back and you mentioned it in one of my very first posts not too long ago, but it just didn't sink in until now. LOL! Also, from that same post you had mentioned a few other things as well... here are a couple...

Toss the Abeka stuff, all of it. It's not that it's bad, so much as that it's not necessary or the best, kwim?....

....Read the D'Aulaire books. Just read broadly across a variety of genres and you won't need ANY of that Abeka stuff, honest. You'll save a ton of money, have way more fun, learn more, and not get burnt out....

Well, I'm finally seeing the light and I'm tossing the ABeka stuff. Oh... I checked out some D'Aulaire books from our local library and both my ds and I love them! ;)

Thanks again & again!

Melissa

You're too funny, hehe! Yes, sometimes we have to see things a while and hear them over and over before they gel in our minds. We have to be ready for the advice we're being given, or it's just water off a duck's back. Or put a different way, you can't buy experience, gotta earn it. :)

Have you seen the Judy Press art books like Big Art for Little Hands, Alphabet Art, etc.? They're totally adorable and perfect for where you're at. At that age we did a lot of art, lots of books on tape, lots of read alouds. Have fun with it! K5 was definitely the most fun age to homeschool, oh my!

I will give it a shot. First, I know nothing about Veritas Press except what I have read in the catalog. I do have a friend who has used this and she did not care for it much.

I will be using TOG for the first time this year... so keep that in mind as I give a review. TOG includes soooooooo much WITH depth. It has a biblical worldview and included geography, literature analysis, and wonderful teacher's notes!! It also includes SOTW:) Another great thing about TOG is that you can use it over and over:)

HOWEVER...seeing the ages of your children, I would NOT make a big investment thus far. They are young and I would recommend SOTW or Five In A Row for them. I tried to do toooo much with my older two at K5 and 1st and it was not good. I even put them in school for a bit. I wish I would have just relaxed and had fun with them. I would make sure that they had a strong foundation in the 3 r's and then do Five in a Row..... or just read aloud for history. I really love The Well Trained Mind and follow it pretty closely, but from my experience, they don't really understand too much of history at that young of an age. I really start pushing the cycles in history at 4th/5th grade. Just keep it simple and fun. Do lots of reading, crafts, ect...

So, this is probably more than you asked for:) Sorry:tongue_smilie: