Menu

It's a good sign when they wave it in your face

Missouri Okie

I read aloud to my kids (7 and 5) as often as I can. Some books they seem to enjoy, some they seem to tolerate, and some they avoid by quietly slinking out of the room when they think I'm too engrossed to notice. Others, they flat out, vocally complain about. It's nice when we come across one they love so much that they bring it to me throughout the day and wave it in my face so that I'll stop and read to them.

Honestly, there have only been a handful of those that I can remember (besides picture books--they have LOVED many picture books over the years). Most recently it was Ramona the Pest. Others I remember are:

the Narnia series,

the My Father's Dragon series

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

The Matchlock Gun (surprisingly)

Any extremely popular ones at your house?

Mine just requested to re-read Penelope Lively's version of The Aeneid.

They loved Padric Colum's "Children's Homer," and would beg for extra chapters (at ages 7 and 10 at the time).

Of course we love Captain Underpants here too, but I didn't sense that was what you were looking for ;)

They hated Treasure Island; we had to drop it, but were transfixed by Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, The Well, and Tom Sawyer (probably a little old for your 5 and 7 YO, but maybe good good for later). King Arthur went well, as did McCaughrean's Gilgamesh. Little House in the Big Woods fascinated them.

We're kind of all over the place :)

What's nice is that they seem to remember it them, and catch references in other literature and in movies and TV shows.

Some of the biggest hits at our house in the last couple of years have been...

Harry Potter

The Penderwicks

Moomintroll books, especially Comet in Moominland

Arabel's Raven

Dragonrider

most anything by Roald Dahl

ETA: I was just thinking too that there are some that, at the time, they were super into, but which later on they don't even remember. Nim's Island comes to mind. We read the book and the sequel. They were riveted. We watched the movie. But every time I refer to it, both my boys are like, huh? What book was that?

Black Beauty

The Witches (Dahl)

Big Susan

As far as picture books, I've read The Duchess Bakes a Cake more times than I can count, and multiple repetitions of Pickle Chiffon Pie, Rapunzel, King Midas and the Golden Touch and The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor.