Menu

What grade standardized test for this child?

diaperjoys

Our 8yo is officially in 2nd grade. But he's doing many subjects on a third grade level. What standardized test should I give him this year?

Here's where he is:

R&S English 3

R&S Spelling 3

VP Self Paced History OTAE

Reads at 5th grade level or above

CLE Math 2, LU 208

MUS Alpha - whizzing through to reinforce

What grade to test??

It depends on what test. Look to see what is covered. I knew I would not get a good representation of abilities if I had given DS the kindergarten test last year. We did first grade last year and we will do second this year. I would not do now than one year ahead.

If he's officially a second grader, then you give him the second grade test.

Standardized tests compare children of approximately the same age. They don't necessarily tell us what our dc actually know or are capable of. If you use a test that is not at your dc's grade level, i.e., the grade he would be in if he were in school, then you're not getting the accurate comparison.

Standardized tests compare children of approximately the same age. They don't necessarily tell us what our dc actually know or are capable of. If you use a test that is not at your dc's grade level, i.e., the grade he would be in if he were in school, then you're not getting the accurate comparison.

He doesn't have to be given the second grade test in order to be compared to second graders.

(I test two levels up and get two score sheets. So, for example, when my son was in second grade, I gave him the fouth grade test (ITBS). I got the computer generated score sheet that compared him to fourth graders. This is where you discover any gaps or extreme strengths. Then I had BJU do a score adjustment, meaning that they reported his percentiles as compared to second graders on a separate score sheet. Since those were all at the 99th percentile, I wouldn't have gotten any useful information about strengths or (more importantly) weaknesses from this information alone. The score adjustment costs something like $10.)

If we're talking about the ITBS, one good thing about the second grade test is that it is mostly untimed. Starting in third grade, all the sections are timed. Honestly, if this is his first testing experience, I'd get the second grade test and then if he scores higher than the 95th percentile on most of the sections, I'd consider giving the 4th grade test next year.

Testing a year ahead still keeps them with kids of approx the same age. There is more than a year age range in any given grade. My son scored stained 8&9 on all but one area testing a year ahead. I would not have had an accurate assessment of gaps had I given him the kindergarten test. He was doing first grade work. Testing should happen at the level in which the child is working. Of your state requires testing each year, I would not tesy more than a year a head.

What's the purpose? Is this for your own information, or are you required to test? If you are required to test, then I would do the test that equals his grade level by age (2nd) and not his ability level. If it's for your information, then I would test by ability level, but I might also go with a test like Hewitt that allows you to test differing grade levels per subject, according to his ability in each.

Merry :-)