Menu

anyone else dealing with their "charming" 4 year olds

DD has become a holy terror since turning 4. Some of it I suspect is situational...daddy is gone for work (has been since the weekend before Christmas) and he's only been home twice since then, though we do talk regularly with him. Her attitude is atrocious....I swear this is a preview of what it'll be in 10 years.

Mine just turned 4 two days ago and is just like this! In fact, he's crying right now because I won't let him eat all the cookies he wants!

I'm going to blame it on the weather and not enough outside play or sun. Too much TV time is probably not helping either. She is in bed right now actually for having another meltdown.

A friend of mine who also has a little one close to age to my 4 year old dd (4 this past December) and said that there is some sort of hormonal shift that causes the problems....it's kind of a preview of the teen years. Don't know how true it is but I'm so in trouble if it is. It's not really that bad but 2 and 3 were spectacular for us and so far 4 has been awful. She hits, spits, throws things, has horrendous tantrums over nothing.

Right there with you, our youngest is 4 and 1/2 and has been a terror at home for me. She's sweet as pie with other adults, at SS and our two co-ops, but totally defiant at home. She is admittedly a bit spoiled, as all of her older sisters over indulge her as do I. She's somewhat better with dh.

I think preschoolers and younger teens have a lot in common, both groups are emotional and tend toward the self-centered. We've got big age gaps between our younger kids, so I honestly am not sure if I remember the others being as difficult at this age or not.

I'm seriously praying and discussing the idea of a year of K for her next year, so I can get more done with my olders and get a bit of a break for her near constant demands. I do love her to pieces and probably will not ultimately send her, but have enjoyed fantasizing about it lately. Her "school" time itself is the best part of our day, she's one of my more motivated students. We keep it short though, only just over an hour. It's during her free time that she's the most difficult.