Menu

Need Hive Help: Who knows how to make 'cord wraps' for lamps?

The kind that Ballard's charges $25. for (have they lost their minds?) T_WithoutZoom?$w170$&$src=LI056_main&$B5=morecolors This is not a great photo, but it is the best I could find.

Any help is appreciated. I will be at CC all day -- will check back this evening -- if you all can keep this bumped, that would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

Edited by MariannNOVA
add photo

Well, if I were making one, I'd just sew a long tube, probably two to two and a half times as long as the cord. (You know, kind of how when you make curtains, you make them 2 to 2 1/2 times as wide as the window, so that there's room for 'gathering'.)

The diameter of the tube, once sewn, should be just big enough to fit over the plug.

Do you sew, or know anyone who does? If not, I'd be happy to help you. :) $25 is absurd, IMO, for that. :D Depending on what fabric you choose, you could probably make one for as little as $2.

I'd say to make it look as gathered as the one in the picture, you need to make it 3-4 times the length of the cord.

Other than that - you have two options. Make the cover wide enough that the plug-in end can fit through it after you've sew the tube, or keep the tube a flat rectangle with finished edges, and sew Velcro along the length on both side to make a "wrap around" cord cover.

Either way, cut out the rectangle, sew a seam on the two short ends first.

Then sew inside out along the length to make a tube - after which you turn it back the right way.

To make the wrap, sew seams along both long side, and then sew on the Velcro :)

This would be a really easy no-sew project too. Just use fabric glue. Since it's not going to have alot of wear-n-tear, the fabric glue would do just fine for hold-up. I think you would want to use a heavier or more "stiff" fabric, so it doesn't slip down the cord/chain all of the time. For that matter, you could even glue on a bit of velcro, one to the cord/chain and one to just inside the fabric to there wouldn't be any slippage.

I'd be nervous about whether a cord wrap would provide the appropriate heat dissipation. It would, for me, be like running a cord under a rug. So think about the fire hazard aspect given your set up, your choice of fabric, etc.

However, that said, making one would be super easy. It's just a long rectangle, sewn into a tube. Make sure the tube is wide enough to go over the plug.

Cut your rectangle. For something gathered or ruched, 3x the finished length is a good estimate; this project might be ok with less. Cut a width the circumference of your plug, plus a wee bit of ease, plus 2x whatever your seam allowance will be. Hem each of the short sides. Fold your rectangle lengthwise, with right sides together, and sew along the edge, keeping in mind the seam allowance in your design. Turn right side out. Voila!!! You're done.

You will make yourself crazy trying to cut and sew a long tube of slippery fabric, not to mention trying to turn it right side out once you've run a seam. (ETA Or maybe that's just me, but I hate turning slippery skinny fabric pieces inside out, I'm not very good at it.)

Use wide ribbon instead. Take your cord to the biggest fabric shop in town (ie, the one that is sure to sell the widest variety of fabric ribbon) and buy what you like in an appropriate width. I'm guessing at least double the length for the bunching effect. Turn down each cut end with a tiny hem, and/or treat it with fray check. If you are afraid the fray check will stain the ribbon, maybe iron on a teeny bit of super light fusible interfacing to keep the ribbon edges from running, especially on satin ribbon.

At this point, if you have some plan for getting the cover over the plug end of the cord, you can just sew a seam with the sewing machine. Otherwise, you have to have something to fasten the fabric edges together around the narrower cord. I have seen velcro used, but only on chandelier chain covers made of heavier upholstery fabric. I would proceed with the idea that you can sew it together in place.

The best part about ribbon is, the long edges are finished. Iron a narrow fold down one long edge of the ribbon. Pin it in place to the halfway point, folded edge covering the non-folded edge. Whip stitch the sides together, scrunching the finished part as you go, and pinning more of the length in place. Sew until you get to the end.

This may sound tedious but IMO it is easier than other ways of trying to figure out how to get a plug through a narrow fabric tube.

Turn down each cut end with a tiny hem, and/or treat it with fray check. If you are afraid the fray check will stain the ribbon, maybe iron on a teeny bit of super light fusible interfacing to keep the ribbon edges from running, especially on satin ribbon.

Grosgrain ribbon ends can easily be finished by melting the ends with a candle. Cut the end to the length you desire. Light a candle. I keep a small ceramic plate handy for the spent match and the melted ribbon. The idea is to hold the ribbon edge near the flame (not in it!). Start at one end and move towards the other end as the ribbon melts. You will need to be very alert as it can melt quickly, so you need to move it continuously. If it doesn't melt as much as you want, you can do another pass. Obviously you hold the ribbon back a bit, so as not to get your fingers near the melting part.

Thank you all so much! I LOVe all of these ideas -- I am intrigued with Pauline's method using the grosgrain ribbon.

I may have to try that one first just b/c it is so, well, intriguing.;)

Just to be clear, I was talking about finishing the short ends so they don't fray; I don't think you could melt the long ends to hold them together, though it might be interesting to try... Natural fibers won't melt (so silk is out); polyester melts nicely.

Personally, I think I'd sew the tube and just choose a fabric that isn't too slippery/fraying to work with.

I make a lot of ballet skirts, and generally use grosgrain ribbon for the waistband/wrap ties. I melt the ends as I described, so they don't fray. It takes a bit of practice to get the amount of melting just right, so that it holds but doesn't make a huge messy lump, but it's pretty easy.

Just to be clear, I was talking about finishing the short ends so they don't fray; I don't think you could melt the long ends to hold them together, though it might be interesting to try... Natural fibers won't melt (so silk is out); polyester melts nicely.

Personally, I think I'd sew the tube and just choose a fabric that isn't too slippery/fraying to work with.

I make a lot of ballet skirts, and generally use grosgrain ribbon for the waistband/wrap ties. I melt the ends as I described, so they don't fray. It takes a bit of practice to get the amount of melting just right, so that it holds but doesn't make a huge messy lump, but it's pretty easy.

Thanks for clearing that up --56.gif -- now I understand.

:tongue_smilie: