Menu

Using FLL and MCT

manyblessings

Has anyone used FLL and MCT at the same time with a 3rd/4th grade level student? What was your experience?

I want to use MCT with my oldest but do not want to entirely walk away from FLL 4 next year. I'm hoping to use both by doing FLL twice a week and the MCT books throughout the week (1 sentence per day and MotH/BL/SI accordingly).

I'm interested in this as well. I should be receiving FLL3 next week, but since I ordered it (orders take forever with our charter school) I've become nearly convinced to start switching to MCT. At this point I'm planning to use FLL as a supplement for MCT, but since I don't have either in my hands yet, I'm very interested to know how others have done it.

I use FLL and MCT with my ds9. We started last year with MCT Island level and FLL3; this year we're in Town and FLL4. We do MCT 3x/week and FLL 2x/week. This year we're skipping some of the FLL lessons because he has a lot of his grammar down cold thanks to MCT. We also skip the narration exercises because we do WWE. I'm still amazed at how much my children learned with MCT, and how much they enjoyed it!!

I've been doing FLL3 and MCT with my daughter who is working on about that same level. It seems to be going fine. We do FLL several days a week and MCT in spurts. When we first received the books she was very excited about them so she read all of Grammar Island and Sentence Island the first few days. We then went back through Grammar Island together doing the exercises about once a week. We finished that and have been doing the same. Due to time constraints and lots of time off during the holidays we haven't been keeping up with both but are now getting back in our routine.

We are doing diagramming now in FLL and the 4 level analysis in Practice Island and she hasn't been confused. The MCT definately moves faster and is more advanced. If I had it to do over again I would probably have skipped to FLL4 to be more on the same level.

I mentioned this on another thread a while back but I really like the MCT materials but can't see using it as a stand alone. It's not quite structured enough for my taste. FLL on the other hand is probably more structure and review than we need so it is a good balance for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to resurrect this thread. I'm trying to decide on whether to add MCT to our FLL4 and WWE3 next year as a supplement only for a 4th grader. Would I need Practice Island with the Grammar Island? I am also considering WWW3 or 4 too, but need to narrow it down I think.

I know I'm going to continue FLL4, WWE3 and MCT Building Language. Would adding WWW3 or 4 plus Sentence Island and Practice Island be ridiculous? :blush: It sounds like it. Which woudl be the better combination?

I'm doing MCT Town level with a 2nd and 4th grader this year (we did Island at the end of last year). I was going to add in FLL for the sentence diagramming, but I found it easier to just learn the diagramming myself and then teach the boys to diagram the sentences from Practice Town after we do the 4 level analysis. We read all the MCT books (including the writing book), but we don't do the writing exercises. I'm using Writing With Ease (especially for my 2nd grader) and IEW (mostly for the 4th grader) for writing exercises. I really love this combination. I am also using MCT's literature program for the 4th grader. I love how it incorporates the grammar and writing we've been learning through the Lang. Arts books.

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for describing how you are using the program. Sounds just like what I'm hoping to do.

For the literature, are you using the MCT versions of the 3 books, and the teacher's guide? I've been hesitant to spend the money on this package, because we already own really nice copies of all 3 of these books, but you can't buy the TM alone. I'm wondering if it adds so much that it might be worth it after all?

I'm doing MCT Town level with a 2nd and 4th grader this year (we did Island at the end of last year). I was going to add in FLL for the sentence diagramming, but I found it easier to just learn the diagramming myself and then teach the boys to diagram the sentences from Practice Town after we do the 4 level analysis. We read all the MCT books (including the writing book), but we don't do the writing exercises. I'm using Writing With Ease (especially for my 2nd grader) and IEW (mostly for the 4th grader) for writing exercises. I really love this combination. I am also using MCT's literature program for the 4th grader. I love how it incorporates the grammar and writing we've been learning through the Lang. Arts books.

So you can use the Sentence Island by itself without doing writing assignments? Is it worth it then, as in does it teach something if you don't use the writing assignments. I don't think I want to do the writing section, as we have WWE and thinking of expanding with WWW next year.

I was thinking of using bits of MCT, but it all looks so good. I think I'm setting myself up for overdoing it with WWE3, WWW4, FLL4 and all the MCT stuff. So I was thinking of just doing Sentence Island (maybe Practice Island?) and Building Language (or whatever the vocab part is called). What do you all think of that?

I'm waffling between MCT writing and WWW. This is all for 4th grade. Sheesh, I'm having a hard time.

From what I understand, all the books are so incorporated that it is hard to remove a part. For example in BL, supposedly, it uses poetry concepts taught in MotH. So you will have to skip some of the reinforcement activities.

As far as writing activities go in SI, I personally think (from the samples) that they look like they would be easy to use in addition to other writing programs, if you pick through and choose appropriately. For us I intend to continue WWE along with fully using SI.

From what I understand, all the books are so incorporated that it is hard to remove a part. For example in BL, supposedly, it uses poetry concepts taught in MotH. So you will have to skip some of the reinforcement activities.

As far as writing activities go in SI, I personally think (from the samples) that they look like they would be easy to use in addition to other writing programs, if you pick through and choose appropriately. For us I intend to continue WWE along with fully using SI.

Oh, that complicates things. The BL is what I was most interested in, but not so much the MotH. Now I have to decide if I want to use MCT writing as a supplement to WWE or WWW. :confused: