Menu

Writing Curriculum Help - WT or WWW?

stephanino

Hi Everyone,

We are going to be taking a break from our present writing curriculum (CW Homer B). My daughter is in 5th grade and I feel like she needs more instruction on basic writing (such as a 5 paragraph essay). I am looking to use either Writing Tales or Winning With Writing for the remainder of the year. I'd love to hear your thoughts on either curriculum or if you know of another good one!

Is Writing Tales just going to piggy back on CW (or be easier?), and WWW be focusing on completely different ways to write?

Thank you SO much in advance.

We are going to be taking a break from our present writing curriculum (CW Homer B). My daughter is in 5th grade and I feel like she needs more instruction on basic writing (such as a 5 paragraph essay). I am looking to use either Writing Tales or Winning With Writing for the remainder of the year. I'd love to hear your thoughts on either curriculum or if you know of another good one!

WT 1 & 2 would be roughly equivalent (although more fun & easy to use) to CW Aesop A & B. So, I'm thinking it is NOT what you are looking for.

I haven't used WWW, but I know it will have a completely different 'take' on writing than CW/WT. So, perhaps it is what you are looking for.

You might also want to look into IEW's Elegant Essay course.

We love WWW here but are only at the 2nd grade level. I don't know anything about the upper levels. So far, I have found it to be systematic and thorough, perhaps even breaking things down into to simplistic of chunks.. but I want my dd to understand the how and why of good sentence/paragraph writing not just throw words on paper.

That looks like it's high school level. Do you know of something similar for 5th/6th graders?

I saw it said "middle and high school" for level. :001_huh: I don't know of something like it for youngers.

One more question...what is recommended once someone finishes both Writing Tales?

The author of WT recommends going into CW Homer. I've seen it recommended to go right into Homer A.

On WWW: Here is a scope & sequence chart, but it doesn't specifically mention the five paragraph essay. I would write to them and ask. They've always been really good about emailing back right away. (Great customer service!)

The author of WT recommends going into CW Homer. I've seen it recommended to go right into Homer A.

On WWW: Here is a scope & sequence chart, but it doesn't specifically mention the five paragraph essay. I would write to them and ask. They've always been really good about emailing back right away. (Great customer service!)

I'm trying to get away from Homer. :)

I just emailed them, so we shall see what they say! Thanks for your help!

I know that you wanted a choice between your selections with support for the elected, but ...

http://cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/hands-on-essays.htm

Based on what you said, and didn't say for that matter ... I think that his is a better choice. :)

Some pointed notes ... http://www.handsonessays.com/docs/hands_on_essays_faq.php#q1

This is absolutely hands down the five-paragraph essay. Do not be overly concerned about the mention of the SAT. This is a course that is used for SAT prep to master the essay. You can repeat it often. Not consumable. DVD and handbook.

Clearance Sale

If you want to concentrate on the development of sentences and word use ... You might want to look at Ignite Your Writing (a writer's workshop for the little ones ... 24 lessons each book, I think).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...