Menu

Book Rec.

Unstuck and On Target! It contains lesson plans for teaching children with ASD flexibility and planning skills. They really break it down very nicely. The CD it comes with has all the forms and has some great visual supports for the concepts.

I know it says ready for classroom use, but all of the activities are very easy to do with just one child.

I have used maybe 4-5 of the lessons so far, but I already see ds7 generalizing the lessons to his day to day life. I would say it is probably geared to a 7-11 age range. I really like how easy the lessons are to implement and how they build on one another.

It starts out with helping the child understand what flexibility is in a very concrete manner and then moving to applying it more abstractly.

It also takes the goal plan do check strategy (also known as COOP) and expands on it to help the child move on to a plan B instead of getting stuck or upset if their plan A didn't workout.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We are about 2/3rds of the way through Unstuck. It has been very easy to implement and we are starting to see great gains in flexible thinking!

Quite sometime ago we read Have you Filled a Bucket Today and use that concept quite a bit around here. Well this week, ds said to me that being flexible is like filling his own bucket and that being rigid/stuck is like dipping into his bucket. I thought that was such a fantastic observation on his part. It also shows me how his understanding and awareness has grown since starting the book in January.

Also, he often states how he is stuck and needs to come up with a Plan B when he is faced with a situation.

I am very excited to see how the last 3 topics go!

Jennifer that is awesome! My son was introduced to the bucket filling book at school. It was really good for him.

We're still early on in the book, but I love that they started with physical flexibility/rigidity before moving on to abstract. My son's school would encourage him to be flexible, but I don't think he really understood what it meant until we broke out the toothpicks and rubber bands.

Thank you for the book recommendation. Even this early into the program we've seen a significant impact.

Jennifer that is awesome! My son was introduced to the bucket filling book at school. It was really good for him.

We're still early on in the book, but I love that they started with physical flexibility/rigidity before moving on to abstract. My son's school would encourage him to be flexible, but I don't think he really understood what it meant until we broke out the toothpicks and rubber bands.

Thank you for the book recommendation. Even this early into the program we've seen a significant impact.

It makes me so happy to hear you are finding it useful as well!

I also love the fact that they start so concrete with the concept. It works well for the learning style of many ASD kids. I knew right from reading the first lesson that it was going to be great fit for ds. I have noticed several instances with ds that he has managed to work thru without help. Before Unstuck he would have either been very upset, or would have needed lots of assistance from me to get him thru the situation. It is really exciting to see his growth! If we don't have any further gains, I would still consider the book a total success.

:party:This is great news Jennifer! I am so happy for you and your little guy! What great connections he is making! I am about to order Unstuck, along with the Social Skills Picture book and some other materials we need from Bookdepository, since they have a 10% sale till May 14th. Looking forward to receiving it and thank you for the update on how well it is working in your home.

Thanks! I hope you have success with it as well.

Jennifer, do you feel the need to continue working on EF beyond Unstuck? What I mean is, will you be using other resources to expand on what Unstuck has offered or is this enough at this point and you will just continue to reinforce what has been taught? I am trying to figure out how much focus needs to be given to EF. For example, with social skills, I know we will be working on that for many years to come and I will be getting the resources for it. I don't know enough about EF to determine that. Could you and whoever else has worked on EF with their kids help me figure this out?

For ds, I think I will always be working on EF skills, much like social skills. That said, I don't think I will be using other resources to target them at this point in time. I will just continue to reinforce and refine the skills ds has acquired. My goals for this year were to work on emotional regulation and flexibility. With Zones of Regulation and Unstuck, I think we have managed to make measurable gains with both those areas. I am still sorting out what our focus will be going forward, but those two EF areas were the biggest roadblocks for ds.

It seems to me that EF skills are finally starting to get more attention and therefore more books and resources about developing these critical skills are starting to emerge. Both the Linguisystems books and Unstuck have only been released in this past year.

It seems to me that EF skills are finally starting to get more attention and therefore more books and resources about developing these critical skills are starting to emerge. Both the Linguisystems books and Unstuck have only been released in this past year.

This is so exciting to see. Many of the best books on the topic have only been written in the last 4 years or so, and curriculum to help children build skills is only coming out now.

It makes me feel just a little sad for myself, because I have struggled all these years with zero resources. My son is now 17yo and we are still dealing with some of these issues, but there aren't resources out there that I can find that are suitable for highly intelligent older adolescents. So, we continue to wing it without the concrete assistance I think he needs.