Menu

Latin for Children and Latin Alive questions

We're happy with what we are doing for Latin this year (Prima Latina and Minimus) and I'm trying to figure out where to go next. The CAP products look fun and I think my children might enjoy them. If you have any experience please share. One specific question that I have is about the pronunciation used. We are learning Ecclesiastical Latin and definitely want to continue. It seems that the LFC series has lessons available for both pronunciations but they prefer classical. It was unclear whether the Latin Alive series also allowed a choice.

Also, I've heard that the grammar lessons can be unclear. Were you and your children able to learn Latin well from these two series?

We've been using LFC-A this year. My kids have really enjoyed it, as well as all the supplemental material on Headventureland. I think the chants and the silly stuff make it a pleasurable learning experience, even though it is serious work. The grammar is written to go with a specific grammar program that we don't use, which I find a bit annoying. It is clear enough and my sixth grader can grasp their terms versus the ones we use, but while bringing my fourth and second graders along for the vocabulary has worked out well, they just aren't ready for the grammar yet.

We use the ecclesiastical pronunciation. The teacher in the lectures usually uses the classical pronunciation, but it isn't a problem really. My kids think it sounds funny, but it hasn't caused comprehension problems to hear both once in a while.

I don't know much of anything about Latin Alive.

Each DVD lesson has a couple of parts. The part with all the vocabulary is done in ecclesiastical Latin (if you choose the ecclesiastical section) but the guy doing the grammar, who does not go into much of the vocabulary, usually does not remember to use ecclesiastical pronunciation in that section.

We're happy with what we are doing for Latin this year (Prima Latina and Minimus) and I'm trying to figure out where to go next. The CAP products look fun and I think my children might enjoy them. If you have any experience please share. One specific question that I have is about the pronunciation used. We are learning Ecclesiastical Latin and definitely want to continue. It seems that the LFC series has lessons available for both pronunciations but they prefer classical. It was unclear whether the Latin Alive series also allowed a choice.

The Latin Alive series teaches classical pronunciation.

Also, I've heard that the grammar lessons can be unclear. Were you and your children able to learn Latin well from these two series?

I've never had any problem with the grammar lessons having worked through all of LfC and half of the first Latin Alive lesson

So the DVD lessons aren't available in Ecclesiastical pronunciation? I think that would drive me nuts! That would definitely be a deal breaker for us.

Actually the instructor usually makes a point to pronounce a word using both pronunciations during the lessons, although it's possible he forgets on occasion. We use the classical pronunciation so I've never paid it a lot of attention.

HTH

So the DVD lessons aren't available in Ecclesiastical pronunciation? I think that would drive me nuts! That would definitely be a deal breaker for us.

We are doing LFC Primer A and the DVD do offer the lessons in Ecclesiastical. I do notice that occassionally he will do both pronunciations in a grammar lesson but the differences between the too are really pretty slight. We are doing the Ecclesiastical pronunciation and have not had any issues.

As someone else mentioned the chant portion of the DVD is available in both ecclesiastical and classical pronunciation. The quick grammar lesson does include some classical pronunciation but so far in the lessons we've covered he's used both. The differences are minor and it hasn't been a problem for us.

We are using lfca now and dd is enjoying it. We did song school Latin, then prima Latina first. Prima Latina was good for learning derivatives but dd definately prefers the cap materials. So far it is just challenging enough but still fun.