Menu

Gentle intro to French?

pgr

Our DD (6 1/2 yrs old) is very interested in learning some French. She's bilingual and learning the basics of other languages (Latin, Spanish) without any strict schedule. She's a strong independent reader. I have a fair foundation in French (took it in school :tongue_smilie: but can carry on a simple conversation).

Any simple introductory resources out there? I had looked at l'art de lire, but I don't think we need a full curriculum at this point.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

:001_smile:

What about Berlitz Jr. "Je Parle Français"? It is a book about a teddy bear. It has basic questions and answers and phrases like J'aime Mama. You could just read it and practise answering the questions. There is also an Usborne book called something like First 1000 Words in French. It has pages full of vocabulary. It will have a spread with a beach scene, for instance, and down the edges are little pictures of the things in the scene along with their French names. We used to play, "Ou est la mer?" "La mer est là. (point)" There is another book like it that has a detective story behind it. Again, a complicated scene with lots of vocab labels. That one had an I-spy component. The other thing we did was buy a few stories and read them over and over, at first with me translating, later with me not translating. Or you can buy the French versions of favourite English or Spanish stories and just read them aloud over and over. Books on tape are also good.

Nan

There is another book like it that has a detective story behind it. Again, a complicated scene with lots of vocab labels. That one had an I-spy component.

Nan

Oooooo! Was that an Usborne book? She's very much into reading mysteries right now - that would be perfect!

Thank you both - those are great suggestions!

we have almost finished 5 'levels' of elementary French and dd can't still not make her self clear in French in most basic situations.

Can I ask what curriculum/materials you used? (just curiosity. I am also teaching French to my kids)

To the OP, how about reading some Dr. Seuss books in French? Most libraries carry some beginner books.

I think memorizing vocab is great, but I think it's better to have a child memorize a sentence instead of just a word. As we progress, I plan on having my kids memorize every dialogue they encounter. That's how I was taught (I still remember half of "Le petit Prince" by heart :001_smile:) and it somehow worked. Basically what I am trying to get to is Usborn vocab book will be great, but try to use those words in a sentences instead of in isolation.

I plan on having my kids memorize every dialogue they encounter.

This is an interesting approach, esp if exposed to some dialogues....I was just replaying one in my mind the other night, trying to remember too how the francophone was pronouncing the words, accenting the phrases, choosing the vocab, etc.

Getting into little role playing situations in the home, where you go over and over the basic expressions that you have encountered til they are automatic, would fit in with this too.

Joan