Menu

Downton Abbey-ish books

I've seen several threads about other shows and movies related to Downton Abbey, but I haven't seen one about similar books. I know there is a new behind-the-scenes companion book for the series, but I'm more in the mood for historical fiction with a similar flavor and setting. What novels and authors are your favorite from this era and setting?

YES! In fact, I mentioned in my post under the Downton Abbey thread that last night I had to really pay attention and THINK about the characters because in between watching seasons and two of DA I read "Fall of Giants." The characters are so similar!

astrid (I loved both, by the way!)

Just watching the latest episode now, and I thought of two other books that speak to the war itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Regeneration-Pat-Barker/dp/0452270073/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326165728&sr=8-1, and the two books that follow highlight the cataclysm WWI was.

Also, http://www.amazon.com/Birdsong-Novel-Love-Sebastian-Faulks/dp/0679776818/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

I think "The Remains of the Day" is the best written book of modern time.

I was going to say the same, but then I thought: I haven't read all the books of the modern era....

That being said, I try to read this book once a year. It truly opened my eyes to great literature and the author's craft. So beautiful up to the very last paragraph. I tried to get my book club to read this book and all the women thought I was crazy for my infatuation. I quit the club soon after.

FYI, Fall of Giants was awful, awful, awful. I can't believe it was written by the same man who wrote Pillars of the Earth. It has a lot of history, but the characters are two-dimensional and the plot is clumsy. Plus, lots of gratuitous adult content.

Sorry to others who like FoG, but I'm really upset with Follett. I was hoping for a series comparable to Pillars of the Earth.