Menu

What is the best grammar program for

a visual learner? We have been using FLL1 for my 8yrs old daughter and it is not going very well. It is simply not enough practice or something. She is the one I posted before about the one who has a problem reading and speaking in full sentences. When reading out loud I notice she omits words like the, an, of, if, etc. Again similar to her speech.

Whether it is auditory processing or autism or what I don;t know. I just know that when reading, writing and speaking she is not seeing full sentences. I agree that it might be a speech issue. I agree that she probably needs speech. I agree in a lot of things. I just don;t have the wear with all to deal to do the searching and paying for services and then fighting with professionals. BEEN THERE and done that and it got me nowhere. At this point in time I don't have transportation and cannot drive her anywhere. Besides I am stuck at home with my youngest son's ABA program at least five hours a day. They require me to be at home when this occurs.

I just want to find resources at home to help her. I am willing to try anything. I have ordered Straight Talk and about an inch close to getting Visualizing and whatever from Linda Mood Bell to help her. Someone mentioned Growing Without Grammar. Anything else?

Happy, look at Linguisystems and see if they have anything that would work. The other thing you might do is get a speech eval (somebody in your state who's REALLY, REALLY GOOD at expressive language, these people are specialized) and then work with them just once a month. You're willing to work with her at home but just need some guidance. That's what I would do. Call around to therapists or good in your state for expressive language therapy. See if you can find someone who seems really, really good. Then just work with them once a month to stay on track and get directed homework. That way you're not shooting in the dark but not overwhelmed with appointments either. I'm totally with you that there's a lot a dedicated mother can do at home. We aren't idiots and this isn't rocket science. But sometimes we just need that nudge to know *what* to do.

BTW, Shurley is one of my favorite grammars. Idiot-proof and good for the grammar phob. Has tons of review, a very slow pace, short lessons. And actually it's going to spend a lot of time on the type of sentences your dd is needing help with (is/are, of, prepositions, etc.).

What you might do is get a pile of pictures (memory game cards, pictures from magazines, whatever) or objects and then make a sentence-making game. Take the words she's leaving out (a/an, of, is/are, whatever) and put write them on foam dice you can buy at the school supply store. They're cheap and tons of fun. It's just a set of square foam dice you can write on with a marker. Then roll the die and make sentences using those target words.

I'll go look up that game I have and get back with you.

I, too, am still looking for the best grammar program for my ds, but I thought I would share a couple of sites with you.

On the blog http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/2008/08/lively-langua-1.html , you will find some neat ideas on making a grammar lapbook. I used the grammar books by Ruth Heller that the blogger used, as well as silly grammar books by Brian Cleary to introduce the part of speech we were working on prior to drawing pictures. I used 12x12 heavy scrapbook paper to have my ds make his book. He really enjoyed adding his own illustrations of the different parts of speech. Since he made it, he enjoys looking at it, adding to it, and showing it off to other family members.

The Montessori method for teaching grammar really looks interesting to me, but their products are expensive. I am thinking of making my own and using them to supplement our grammar instruction. You can read some articles about the method http://blog.montessoriforeveryone.com/grammar.html

I like that the Montessori method uses visual symbols and the use of real objects to teach parts of speech.

Good luck,

Michelle

• 1 month later...

I am taking my time reading and rereading posts.

We are about to start FLL2 and ugh! again the common and proper nouns stump her. She struggles and struggles with finding the words to things. I ask her a question and she says "its the you know you know the thing for the thing um you know its its"

Anyways, we were able to finish FLL1 somehow just a week ago. She is 8yrs old and we just finished FLL1. Torturous! Especially since when she was in PS last year all they gave her was RTI. Anyways I started writing everything out for FLL1 on the white board and that seemed to help a little bit.

I am not sure whether to continue on to FLL2 or something else. Money is an issue. I already have the FLL1/2 combo book. Perhaps I can tweek FLL2 a bit. Any suggestions?

I wish their was an All about Spelling Way to do grammar. Is Shurley Grammar like this? She is more of a visual person rather than an auditory person.