Menu

For those who have 'rooted' your Nook Color . . .

What were the advantages to doing this? What did you want your NC to do that it couldn't do without being rooted? And did you do it yourself, or buy one of the SD cards with the OS preloaded?

I got a Nook Color for Christmas, and my dd got a Kindle Fire. So we have been having fun comparing the two. They are very similar but there seems to be more free books and apps available for the Kindle than for the Nook. So I'm just wondering if it would be worth it to root it so I could download the Kindle app. I have never even owned a smartphone, so I'm not very technically savvy. ;)

Any opinions appreciated!

My kids got Nook Colors for Christmas. We set them up to boot off of an SD Card (we did it ourselves). We had to troubleshoot a little bit, but got them to work. We didn't root them by overwriting the nook interface and if we take out the memory card they still boot up as a stock Nook Color.

My daughter can text her friends using Google voice and the kids have access to Android Market apps as well as the Amazon app store. They can check out library books over WiFi and use both the Nook and Kindle apps to read books. They also can watch Netflix, check email, update Goodreads and do math flashcards.

We considered Kindle Fires, but thought they would have more options with a device that worked more like a tablet.

The OS that we used (CM7) can be a little unstable at times, but nothing that hasn't been fixed by restarting. I understand that rooting them is more stable and most of the issues are caused from booting from the sd card, but rooting voids the warranty and we wanted to see how it worked from the sd card first.

Overall we are pretty happy with the results.

ali

we have 2 rooted nooks. i bought one SD card from rootmynook.com & the other one we purchase for about half the cost at amazon. both SD cards work great (the format is a little different, but they do the same thing). the benefit of rooting your nook is that it turns it into an android tablet. we can still read books on it, but we also can download apps from the amazon market or android market. we also have access to netflix and youtube. it's just fun. if i ever want to revert back to the nook color operating system, i simply can take out the SD card.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I rooted my new Nook tablet. Once you root and block the OTA's, you don't have access to the Nook store on your device anymore. I buy my books online and side load to my Nook. I have full access to Android Market, Kindle apps and reader, as well as the Kobo reader app, which I must say is WAY better than B&N content. I wanted it for the incredible fast processor and OS. I installed different launcher and debloated it as well.

I followed the instructions over on XDS developers boards. I did it myself without the use of an SD card.

We considered Kindle Fires, but thought they would have more options with a device that worked more like a tablet.

ali

I thought the Kindle Fire was a tablet. I was going to do this to my color Nook in the hopes of ending up with something like a Kindle Fire. What will I have?

I thought the Kindle Fire was a tablet. I was going to do this to my color Nook in the hopes of ending up with something like a Kindle Fire. What will I have?

I think the Fire runs an Amazon shell over Android, so you are running the Amazon version of Android. When you root the Nook you are just running Android.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either for most applications.

For those that do run Android off an SD card on the Nook, do you get occasional "force close" errors?

The Kindle is a tablet. After comparing the two (NC and Fire) the main differences to *me* seem to be that there are more apps/books available on Amazon than on Barnes & Noble, and the NC has an SC card and the Fire doesn't. The Fire instead has extra "Cloud" storage which of course you must be online to access.

That sounds complicated. :tongue_smilie: When you say you didn't use an SD card, does that mean that it is permanent? In other words, can you go back to your stock Nook settings if you wanted to?

I rooted my new Nook tablet. Once you root and block the OTA's, you don't have access to the Nook store on your device anymore. I buy my books online and side load to my Nook. I have full access to Android Market, Kindle apps and reader, as well as the Kobo reader app, which I must say is WAY better than B&N content. I wanted it for the incredible fast processor and OS. I installed different launcher and debloated it as well.

I followed the instructions over on XDS developers boards. I did it myself without the use of an SD card.

That sounds complicated. :tongue_smilie: When you say you didn't use an SD card, does that mean that it is permanent? In other words, can you go back to your stock Nook settings if you wanted to?

I bought a 'Nook to Android', or 'N2A', SD card from Amazon. The Nook boots from the SD card when it's in the slot. If I remove the SD card, it boots as a Nook Color. Simple.

Since B&N came out with the Nook Tablet, I would think the Nook Colors would come down in price. If so, it will be a super cheap way to get get an Android tablet.

If I wanted to go back to stock settings, I would just do a full reset. But then I would lose my root.

It's not complicated at all actually. I just followed the directions of the developers. I'd be lost without them. :tongue_smilie:

I bought a 'Nook to Android', or 'N2A', SD card from Amazon. The Nook boots from the SD card when it's in the slot. If I remove the SD card, it boots as a Nook Color. Simple.

Since B&N came out with the Nook Tablet, I would think the Nook Colors would come down in price. If so, it will be a super cheap way to get get an Android tablet.

It is a tablet in name only unfortunately. Without being rooted, it is a Nook Color 2. Just an updated OS and that's it. It HAS to rooted to function as a tablet.

Edited by 3Blessings4Me