Menu

I need new knives! Recommendations?

So the set of knives I got as a wedding gift 20 years ago is toast. The blades are dull and coming loose (not full tang). I am getting back into cooking more from scratch lately, and it's getting annoying to have such crappy knives.

What do you recommend? I don't really need a big set; probably a chef's knife, utility knife and paring knife. Are the Pampered Chef knives still a good choice? What about ceramic?

Thanks,

Wendi

I was given Chicago Cutlery as a wedding present and I always thought they were great (because compared to what I grew up with they were a huge improvement). One day a friend was over and helping me chop veggies, she commented on my dull knives. And I thought they were pretty sharp. But since she commented, I started paying attention to knife threads here and I kept hearing Cutco over and over and over again. Never heard of them and when I looked them up I about keeled over at the price of them.

Fast forward, we were at an expo and there was a Cutco display. I went to check it out just to see what the hype was and I was shocked how good they worked. I bought a cheese knife since I've never had a decent one. I feel in love with it and have purchased 3 more knives (chef, bread and paring). They were much cheaper as a group than just a single, still expensive but definitely more doable.

I always reach for my Cutco knives first and if they are all dirty then I will pick one of the Chicago cutlery ones.

I was in the same boat. Not sure if you are on the same page I am financially (I have to find great prices or not buy), but I found these are Ross for $9.99 and I really like them. I think the best for the price will be at places like Ross, Homegoods, Marshalls, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-2-Piece-Pearlized-Stainless-Vegetable/dp/B005F49NE0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1325963673&sr=8-6

I have a largish set of JA Henckels. I have also have a set of Cooks brand steak knives from JC Penny (I think).

I use my 5 1/2" Henckels Petty knife ALL the time. I like the smaller blade better than the 8inch chefs knife. (A petty knive is also called and Asian Utiliy knife. It is thin and very sharp.)

I use the other knives rarely, but they do serve a specific purpose and I do use them for that. (ie bread knife, deboning knife, etc) I use my steak knives, for a lot of paring or slicing. They are wonderful for that. They fit my hand nice at they slip right through things like tomatoes or cheese.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap