Menu

Sight Words?

4Kiddos

Hello everyone! I love this forum so much as there is so much information and help for someone like me who is just starting out. I was reading another thread on this forum about Preschool and Sight Words and I had a question. I didn't want to hijack the thread so I just am starting a new one. First some background, I was not homeschooled growing up and learned to read by sight words. Fast forward to today and I am starting to teach phonics to my ds #1. Well, between you and me, I really don't have any clue what I am doing. My MIL used Spell to Write and Read and so I have been using those phonogram cards to teach my ds the sounds. We have just started blending a little and starting to "read" by using the I See Sam free books. My ds is doing well with the saying each sound "SS-AAA-MMM" but doesn't quite blend it all together to get to "Sam". Sometimes, he also makes up stories about the pictures. He will point to the words on the page "I see Sam", reads "I ss-eeee SS-AA-MM" and then says "Help me get out of this hole" or other words that are based on the pictures. I was wondering if this is something that I should discourage as the other thread talked about how guessing and sight words can mess up the child. He does also guess at the words sometimes towards the end of our reading time when he is starting to get tired of it. I just tell him then to try and sound out the word instead of guessing or ask him if the letter in the word sound like the word he guessed. I have just started using the Sam books (we are on Book 3) so I am not sure if I am just being paranoid. Plus, my son is young but really, really wants to read. We have just been working on it about 15 minutes a day or so. But, I guess that I just feel nervous as I am not sure if I am doing things right. Any suggestions?

Edited by Mommyof3boys
Forgot something!

To really help you understand the difference between phonics and sight-reading, you could read "Why Johnny Still Can't Read." You should be able to find that in your library. :-)

I think what your ds is doing is fine, but since he seems to be so motivated, you might consider doing more than just using the phonogram cards to teach the sounds. You need to understand the whole method, part of which is that teaching the phonograms always involves writing them at the same time, not just having the child memorize them by sight. And SWR doesn't focus on teaching children to "blend," or to read CVC words. (At least, I don't think it focusses on "blending," as it is a Spalding spin-off and Spalding doesn't make a big deal of that, either).

For both boys I felt like we were supposed to "study" sight words. I've realized w/ both of them that so many of the sight words kids can read once they can read well on their own. They sort of pick them up. I'd say take your time, don't stress, read the Sam books and do your phonics and you'll get to the reading, sight words and other books.

Blending is often something that just "clicks" one day somewhere in the age 4-6 range for many kids. My oldest could sound out words for a good year before he could blend. I let him play Starfall.com (where he learned to "chunk" the words) and read to him a lot. Then one day, when he was 4.5, he picked up a Dr. Seuss book and read it to me. Suddenly, that day, he could blend.

Note that by playing starfall.com, he ended up mostly sight reading, but he COULD sound words out, whereas he couldn't before reading clicked... he did need more phonics reinforcement. The reason he was sight reading via starfall.com is that he was playing the "I can read" type stuff before he could actually read. :tongue_smilie:

Just continue modeling the blending process for your son. I love those I See Sam readers! My middle son (who could blend before he knew all the letters, but a year later, we're still waiting for actual "reading" to click) loves them. He has done some Webster's Speller also. I love both.

I think what your ds is doing is fine, but since he seems to be so motivated, you might consider doing more than just using the phonogram cards to teach the sounds. You need to understand the whole method, part of which is that teaching the phonograms always involves writing them at the same time, not just having the child memorize them by sight. And SWR doesn't focus on teaching children to "blend," or to read CVC words. (At least, I don't think it focusses on "blending," as it is a Spalding spin-off and Spalding doesn't make a big deal of that, either).

I agree that you really need to delve more into the program. The phonogram cards are really just the beginning.

SWR does address blending, though it does not necessarily emphasize it, as not all children need work in this area. In SWR, it is referred to as "gluing" and "ungluing" words. You did not mention how old your ds is, but this is basically considered a prerequisite if your dc is under 5yo. My ds is almost 4yo. He knows all of his single-letter phonogram sounds, but he cannot blend them together. So we will continue to work on this skill before we work on spelling or reading. SWR includes activities and games that you can use if your dc needs help with this. Additional games can be found at the websites and blogs of some of the trainers.

And SWR doesn't focus on teaching children to "blend," or to read CVC words. (At least, I don't think it focusses on "blending," as it is a Spalding spin-off and Spalding doesn't make a big deal of that, either).

You are correct that SWR does not focus on blending. Working through the word lists using the dictation process takes care of cementing that process. However, as mentioned earlier, demonstration that the student understands that words can be broken into sounds and put back together again is recommended before starting the word lists.

To the OP - Learning the sounds and learning to put the sounds together are two different skills. I did not learn this until my 2nd dd was struggling. It finally clicked in 2nd grade and she took off reading.

Edited by HiddenJewel

Hello everyone! I love this forum so much as there is so much information and help for someone like me who is just starting out. I was reading another thread on this forum about Preschool and Sight Words and I had a question. I didn't want to hijack the thread so I just am starting a new one. First some background, I was not homeschooled growing up and learned to read by sight words. Fast forward to today and I am starting to teach phonics to my ds #1. Well, between you and me, I really don't have any clue what I am doing. My MIL used Spell to Write and Read and so I have been using those phonogram cards to teach my ds the sounds. We have just started blending a little and starting to "read" by using the I See Sam free books. My ds is doing well with the saying each sound "SS-AAA-MMM" but doesn't quite blend it all together to get to "Sam". Sometimes, he also makes up stories about the pictures. He will point to the words on the page "I see Sam", reads "I ss-eeee SS-AA-MM" and then says "Help me get out of this hole" or other words that are based on the pictures. I was wondering if this is something that I should discourage as the other thread talked about how guessing and sight words can mess up the child. He does also guess at the words sometimes towards the end of our reading time when he is starting to get tired of it. I just tell him then to try and sound out the word instead of guessing or ask him if the letter in the word sound like the word he guessed. I have just started using the Sam books (we are on Book 3) so I am not sure if I am just being paranoid. Plus, my son is young but really, really wants to read. We have just been working on it about 15 minutes a day or so. But, I guess that I just feel nervous as I am not sure if I am doing things right. Any suggestions?

One suggestion I would have is to back off the reading and just do a lot of oral work with gluing and ungluing words while he continues to solidify the phonograms. This builds a strong foundation and when it all clicks he will take off reading.