Menu

Thinking of switching curriculum...need advice

Mommy_of_4

DS is 4.5 and is an accelerated learner. We started him on Horizons Pre-K at age 3. He flew through it so I ordered him the K Lifepacs. Well he is now almost done with Grade 1. We use Lifepacs for everything but math. He uses Horizons 1 for math is doing great with it. I think DS needs a more challenging curriculum. He loves workbooks. He would never go for something like FLL. What would you recommend? Would Abeka be a good fit? I want to change everything but math.

A Beka would be good. They will actually let a student be a grade ahead in their accredited program. Rod and Staff is also VERY challenging. Don't let the simplicity fool you! We decided not to let oldest dd be in the grade ahead (Sept birthday) and used both A Beka and Rod and Staff to challenge her in 1st and 2nd. My younger dd is blessedly "normal," and found Rod and Staff too difficult. We currently have her in Bob Jones for Math and English because of it.

HTH!

Blessings

Dorinda

I would start with 1st grade. All kids ebb and flow. A seemingly accelerated learner can, at any time, hit a wall, and slow down in the learning process. A Beka is very heavy in language arts. It may seem like overkill, but the practice is good. I'm assuming your son can read well. Our daughter could too, from the start, however, that didn't mean she could comprehend at the level she was reading at. You could buy the A Beka 1st grade workbooks, work through them, and if the readers are too easy, check books out from the library to challenge your son.

HTH!

Dorinda

Abeka is fine but many, many kids come to dislike it (and sometimes school) quickly (within months to a year) so be careful. It truly shines in a true classroom, not as much for homeschoolers. Check www.homeschoolreviews.com

We had a LOT more success with BJU at that age. TMs are handy but you can get them for pretty cheap used on Amazon. Mardel is having a 20% off education sale this saturday www.mardel.com.

Other suggestions is if he's breezing through - go wide, not deep. Toss in Spanish or another foreign language. Read more books.

www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.com has Discovery Streaming for 47% right now. MANY families love this site. This would allow him to discover a lot of new things in a fun way.

HTH.

DS is 4.5 and is an accelerated learner. We started him on Horizons Pre-K at age 3. He flew through it so I ordered him the K Lifepacs. Well he is now almost done with Grade 1. We use Lifepacs for everything but math. He uses Horizons 1 for math is doing great with it. I think DS needs a more challenging curriculum. He loves workbooks. He would never go for something like FLL. What would you recommend? Would Abeka be a good fit? I want to change everything but math.

Sounds like you need something that will keep it age appropriate but match his ability as well...keep him thinking! Maybe Math Mammoth, since it's more conceptual, add in something like Verbal Math maybe. Toss in Developing the Early Learner, b/c although he is excelling, there are certain skills you dont' want to forget to develop for his age. I did this with my gifted daughter. I let her fly ahead and though she could do the work and loved the challenge, it wasn't age appropriate and she missed out on some important skills!

Abeka is fine but many, many kids come to dislike it (and sometimes school) quickly (within months to a year) so be careful. It truly shines in a true classroom, not as much for homeschoolers. .

This is true of ANY curriculum. My oldest dd felt that way after Sonlight, Veritas Press, Saxon, Singapore, and the list goes on and on. There are so many factors that go into choosing a curriculum, that unless there's a specific reason a child won't like A Beka (child only likes to read books all day/hates workbooks), it doesn't help to make generalizations. KWIM?

Blessings!

Dorinda