Menu

Music on android phones?

Okay... silly question but... for all those with android phones, how do you get music on them? I have pandora and i <3 radio, but I want something more like itunes, specificially where I can pick the songs I want and make playlists, without too many (if any) commercials. Doesn't need to be free, but does have to run smoothly without buffering or skipping or freezing up every other minute.

This is the one thing drawing me towards an iphone, but since I'm otherwise happy with the droid system....... help! :tongue_smilie:

I've used Dropbox in the past, but now I use Google Music and on occasion, Amazon Cloud. These have great apps that link up with your Google or Amazon accts.

ETA:

Another is Spotify. It's a streaming service (like Pandora) rather than using your own music. It's free to put on your desktop, but $10 a month to put on your phone.

Edited by Shawna in Texas

I already have a ton of MP3s, so I just use my Android phone as an MP3 player instead of signing up for a service. I did the following (ETA: you could just as easily hook up your phone to your computer to transfer the files, if you have the cable handy):

1. Unmounted the phone's microSDHC card. This tells the phone to stop using the card, so you can take it out without corrupting any files or messing up your phone. The option to do this will be in the settings menus for your phone.

2. Took out the microSDHC card.

3. Swapped the microSDHC card that came with the phone, a 4GB slower type, with a bigger, faster class 10 SDHC card that I'd bought separately. This provides more storage and noticeably speeds up many operations of the phone.

4. Attached the microSDHC card to my PC using a USB microSDHC card reader (here are two types). There was no need to format the card.

5. Copied MP3 files to the /audio/music/ directory on the card.

6. Detached the microSDHC card from the computer, inserted it into the phone, and mounted it.

7. After checking to make sure that the music I'd added was automatically recognized by the phone, used the Android music player to create playlists.

Edited by Iucounu