Menu

French Revolution/Les Miserables book recomendations.

Well I DON'T recommend Citizens by Simon Schama. I bought it a few years ago wanting to learn more about the French revolution and it's not a introductory text. I was overwhelmed just skimming through it. So it sits on my bookshelf as one of those books I'll get to "some day." I thought Tale of Two Cities was a good fictional novel, but I don't know if it's historically accurate or how much it goes into the history. So to sum it up, I'm no help.

I don't have any recs, but I wanted to let you know that Les Miz is not about the French Revolution anyway :001_smile:

I know, but just reading the first part of the book, it kept referring back to all these events and people surrounding the Revolution that I'd never heard of or knew very little about (and it does take place not very long after), so I thought it would help to know what and who the heck they were talking about because I felt I was missing a lot of the story. :)

First thing you have to know is that the French Revolution came in waves. France tried many forms of governments, including bringing back their king at one point, eventually proclaiming an Emperor (Napoleon).

The years from the Bastille to the end of the 19th century were bloody, and full of changes. Les Mis takes place during those years.

You may want to start reading this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_First_Republic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution_of_1848

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_Revolution

I also found that "In Search of Honor" (I discovered it through Sonlight) was a nice little novel for that time period, just after the Revolution.

And remember that even French people have problems remembering what happened in what order!

Edited by CleoQc

I recently read the historical fiction book Madame Tussaud & enjoyed it. You will pick up info about the revolution & the major players in it from this book.

"From Publishers Weekly:

From Versailles to Boulevard du Temple, royalists to revolutionaries, art to science, Moran (Cleopatra's Daughter) returns with a new historical novel of fierce polarities. Set during the French Revolution, with an emphasis on the Reign of Terror, Moran's fourth deftly chronicles the consequences of seeking reversals in power-or liberty. Marie Grosholtz, the talented wax sculptress who would become Madame Tussaud, narrates with verve. She and her family are "survivalists" who "straddle both worlds until it's clear which side will be the victor..." but never come across as opportunists; they are resourceful, sympathetic individuals facing an unraveling nation and an increasingly angry mob mentality. Though readers may wince at the inevitable beheadings, the storming of the Bastille, and the actions of men like Robespierre, Moran tempers brutality with Marie's romance and passion for artistry; quiet moments in the family's atelier provide much needed respite. This is an unusually moving portrayal of families in distress, both common and noble. Marie Antoinette in particular becomes a surprisingly dimensional figure rather than the fashionplate, spendthrift caricature depicted in the pamphlets of her times. A feat for Francophiles and adventurers alike."