Menu

Size advantage of 10" tablet over nook color?

I have a nook color and I love sitting and reading blogs, msg boards on it however the screen size really gets to me. I am contemplating a 10" tablet...maybe toshiba thrive?? Is the size difference going to be worth the $$$?? I would probably use some apps on it but we have an ipod touch already for the apple apps for the kids.

For reading blogs and the like? Maybe, since the smaller screen on the Nooks bothers you. For movies and videos, playing games (not just "video"games; expensive board games are being released in low-cost tablet versions), apps like Google Earth, absolutely. I'd only caution that you to consider the weight of the tablet, as the Thrive is significantly heavier than its competition.

If I were to purchase a tablet now (well, now-ish because they are back ordered), it would be an ASUS Transformer Prime (32 gig) for $500. As it is, I'm waiting for next Christmas and the next model because I was lucky enough to get a fire sale Touchpad last year.

Screen size matters to me. I have the Thrive and love it--especially since you can turn the screen sideways to make the forums and blog print larger. The weight is not an issue for me--I was willing to go slightly heavier for the full-size ports.

can't you expand the storage capacity above what is internal on the Thrive? Still not sure what to do..... The Nook is ok for reading, I would LOVE something larger but not as bulky as my laptop..... just not sure if it's worth spending $400 on :confused:

I would have to use it for more than just surfing the web in order to justify the expense..... I am thinking maybe some planning type apps that aren't feasible to use on the Itouch b/c of it's size????

I definately think the screen size makes a difference. It was one of the major factors in my deciding to go with the ipad instead of another device. The 10" screen is close enough to an actual page size that it makes working on pdf curriculum much better for us. DD still writes on the pdf in a zoomed mode in Notability but she sees the whole page at once which seems to make a difference.

Reg made a good point about the whole tablet conversation a while back which helped me lean towards the second ipad instead of a Nook or Fire. The licensing structure which allows for sharing apps on all of the different apple devices is a definate plus. Any app purchased for the ipod or an iphone can also be used on the ipad. You can share apps on up to 5 devices which makes it cost effective. It has probably saved us over $100 minimum so far not having to "buy" software or apps for multiple devices.