Menu

Hake grammar question

We are using WWS with it. I have my son do the Hake writing assignments too, they are boring, but essay writing for exams or school is often boring and tedious. I have seen dramatic improvement in his writing this year and I attribute that to the Hake grammar portion. It is so much like the Saxon math, drill, rinse, repeat. It has really worked here.

I just ordered Hake 5. I am not sure if I will use the writing program until it arrives and I can see it.

For those of you who are doing WWS, did you do WWE before WWS, or can WWS be started w/out any experience beforehand?

My two oldest had no problems with lengthy copywork, could do dictation pretty well (they can handle up to 4 sentences at a time) and could narrate and write summaries of short passages. Basically you can look at the evaluation at the end of WWE4 to determine if your dc have any major deficiencies in skills. (You can find the evaluations on the PHP website.)

We started with Hake 5 this year, and we do use the writing portion. It's a bit dry, but I do think it's a beneficial skill set. It focuses primarily on writing the 5-paragraph essay, and includes some lessons about editing and self-evaulating one's writing. It breaks essay writing down into tiny chunks, starting with topic sentences and moving all the way through basic outlining and evaluation. At the end of the book, there are some creative writing lessons as well.

As a stand-alone writing program, it's pretty bare bones, I agree. But I really don't see any detriment to learning this kind of writing. But to round it out, I plan to add in Writing Strands starting this month, for added variety and to provide a more comprehensive approach to writing. Neither of my girls are reluctant writers, btw.

We're going with Hake at current grade level for next year, but we're going to be tossing out the writing exercises and using WWS instead. With WWS, all you need to do is add a good grammar program and vocabulary study of choice. Makes a wonderful LA program!

Blessings,

Lucinda