Menu

Hebrew suggestions

acurtis75

I can't believe I'm asking this but dd is asking me if she can learn Hebrew. My initial reaction (which I didn't share with her) was no way because I can barely keep up with Latin and we just started Greek. She said she really wants to be able to read the Bible in its original language.

So...does anyone know of a self-paced option for learning Hebrew? A gentle introduction would be great if such a thing exists. I would like something I could give her that she could do on her own. Fwiw dd seems to have no problem keeping up in Latin and Greek. It definately comes easier to her than it does for me.

I can't believe I'm asking this but dd is asking me if she can learn Hebrew. My initial reaction (which I didn't share with her) was no way because I can barely keep up with Latin and we just started Greek. She said she really wants to be able to read the Bible in its original language.

The New Testament is written in Greek.

Hmm... we didn't use a reading primer; I just taught my kids the letters and then we jumped in at a higher level. But Behrman House seems to have good resources; we'll be starting one of their books when we finish our current reading book.

Either of these looks decent, depending on her age and your preference:

http://behrman.powerwebbook.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=6620

http://behrman.powerwebbook.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=6265

Most books introduce more than just the Hebrew alphabet; there's usually some Jewish cultural content as well. Not sure how much of that you want to get into, but the truth is, most people learning Hebrew are Jewish. :-)

Speaking of which, I would AVOID sites and programs run by messianic Jews because the pronunciation is often wonky - very different from the way Hebrew is read in Israel and by Jews worldwide.

If you're just interested in "meeting" the Hebrew letters, I have a Hebrew language & alphabet lapbook for sale at CurrClick. :-)

Thanks for sharing. She is only 6 but pretty advanced in language arts. We focused on the alphabet first with Greek and she picked it up easily so that's probably a good way for us to start with Hebrew. I will check out your materials at Currclick! Dd is a big history junkie so learning about other cultures is exciting for her so that wouldn't be an issue for us.

My oldest is 6 and we have been using the Z'man Likro series, also from Behrman House. It is a good, solid program, very methodically laid out, and my son loves the go-along activities book. It also includes a fair bit of writing, which is nice.

That said,, I am not sure how well it would work for a parent with no Hebrew background at all-- I think it would be okay, but you'd have to make sure to stay ahead a bit. It's not a self-teaching program. The program also works on the assumption that the children using it are Jewish, so some of the references may be somewhat unfamiliar, and the goals are a little different. Still, it might be worth a look, along with the Alef Bet Quest program Jay3fer linked to above. (I almost went with that one, but decided it was too 'busy' for my DS.)

Check around for Jewish private schools. I bet there are teachers who'd be happy to make a little extra money tutoring. Also look at university model homeschools. Some offer Hebrew. The ones around here only offer it to high schoolers, but again, you may find a teacher willing to work one-on-one with a younger student.