Menu

Additional material for the "why I love my MIL" files

I really like her a lot:)

Last night I had my mother and sister over for dinner, and invited MIL too. We are all in a bit of a twit because my father is in a rehab center - which seems more like just a flat nursing home to me - some of the clients don't seem to be rehabbing so much as just serving out their time. Anyway, hopefully he will just be there a few weeks while he heals from surgery and learns to use a walker. He has dementia and, well, any way, I think we made the right choice to have him there for a couple of weeks.

But still, it's hard and there are a lot of tears. It's hard to see someone old and stuck in less than ideal circumstances. I feel overwhelmed with responsibility and scared that he's going to injure himself worse and just emotionally exhausted. So last night after everyone else left, MIL told me that she wants me to know that if she ever has to be in a nursing home, she's going to love it and not to worry. She's going to love Bingo. She's going to love the snack tray, she will love the whole thing and not to think otherwise. My MIL is a very strong, capable woman, and I just thought that was the sweetest thing to say. I would really not ever plan on letting her be in a home, but how sweet.

My mom requested to be put in a nursing home. She specified that she wanted one where the little old men wear the gowns that open in back and that she wanted her walker equipped with wheels for speed.

In all seriousness, I would only put her in if it were medically necessary.

:grouphug:to you Danestress. I hope your dad gets the care he needs and comes home quickly.

Yay, I'm happy to see a POSITIVE mil story! That was very sweet of your mil to say!

I adore my mil (and fil)! We have a great relationship and they are very supportive of dh and me and our kids! So I'm sad when i see how some il's are less than stellar (to put it nicely), and wish EVERYONE could have in-laws like mine! :) I wish I could share that with everyone!

She's going to love Bingo. She's going to love the snack tray, she will love the whole thing and not to think otherwise. My MIL is a very strong, capable woman, and I just thought that was the sweetest thing to say. I would really not ever plan on letting her be in a home, but how sweet.

With a bit of money, they can be very nice. My Papa's was rather like a cruise ship with a bigger cabin, and I saw the gentleman in him reawaken as he worked at remembering everyone's name, and the methodical man reawaken as he memorized the number of steps to the elevator (if he went too many, then he'd know he was going the wrong way, see?). Still, we were glad it was only 2.5 months and that he was ready to go, and went so graciously (and at 97).

From a sonnet I loved as a girl:

Wherefore I pray you if you love me dearly

Less dear to hold me than your own bright charms,

Whence it may fall that until death or nearly

I shall not move to struggle from your arms;

Fade if you must; I would but bid you be

Like the sweet year, doing all things graciously.