Menu

We took an AMAZING field trip today.

We went to see the Body Worlds exhibit at our state museum. Wow. Absolutely breathtaking. We were a bit hesitant to take dd, as she still runs in terror if there is even creepy music playing during a movie, but she had a blast! I was so proud of her at one point, when a college-aged girl beside dd said, "Oh, this is just disgusting!" DD turned to me and said, "Mama, I don't think our bodies are disgusting. They are miraculous! Just look at how well we fit together. And everyone looks the same under their skin!". :D

If you are ok with your kids seeing exposed genitalia on the bodies (no sexual poses, of course), it's definitely worth seeing. Here's a link to what we saw:

http://www.southcarolinastatemuseum.org/bodyworldsvital/bodyworldsvital.html

Sounds super cool! DD10 would have thought that was keen!

We went today to an exhibit of Old Toys at the museum. The dollhouse (huge) was a super hit, as was playing in the children's section for four hours. And, oddly enough, DD10 and her friend spent about 20 minutes looking at landscape paintings. :confused:

You're welcome, parias1126. :) I believe that the price to the exhibit also includes admission to the museum. You'll want to check that. I'm not certain because dh purchased a membership, as it was actually only a few dollars more for us, and we're sure we'll be back within a year.

AK_Mom4, we just never know what will grab their attention, huh?

You're welcome, parias1126. :) I believe that the price to the exhibit also includes admission to the museum. You'll want to check that. I'm not certain because dh purchased a membership, as it was actually only a few dollars more for us, and we're sure we'll be back within a year.

AK_Mom4, we just never know what will grab their attention, huh?

Homeschoolers in state get free admission to the museum. Just need to pay the fee for the traveling exhibit. I believe you need to show proof of homeschooling for free admission.

They also have homeschool classes that are pretty good.

If you're out of state, it'd be the fee for museum admission plus the traveling exhibit fee.

Homeschoolers in state get free admission to the museum. Just need to pay the fee for the traveling exhibit. I believe you need to show proof of homeschooling for free admission.

They also have homeschool classes that are pretty good.

If you're out of state, it'd be the fee for museum admission plus the traveling exhibit fee.

Well, I wish I'd known this beforehand! Does it include parents or just the kids?

I would love to go for my children, but the Human Rights Violations are just too much for me. I truly wish the Chinese would have obtained informed consent.

I believe this is a different exhibit than the one that uses Chinese prisoners. They say they have releases from all the bodies used.

I would love to go for my children, but the Human Rights Violations are just too much for me. I truly wish the Chinese would have obtained informed consent.

I could be wrong, but I believe you are referring to Bodies: An Exhibition. This is not the same thing as Body Worlds.

We saw Body Worlds several years ago at the California Science Center. It was HUGE and amazing!!! I was so impressed. My husband hated it and was totally grossed out. I would love to be able to take my girls to that now!

From the Body Worlds website:

The BODY WORLDS exhibitions rely on the generosity of body donors; individuals who bequeathed that, upon their death, their bodies could be used for educational purposes in the exhibitions. Currently, the Institute for Plastination has a donor roster of 8000 individuals, 490 are already deceased.

All of the full-body plastinates and the majority of the specimens are from these body donors; some specific specimens that show unusual conditions come from old anatomical collections and morphological institutes. As agreed upon by the body donors, their identities and causes of death are not provided. The exhibitions focuse on the nature of our bodies, not on providing personal information.

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/exhibitions/questions_answers.html?edit#6