Menu

Spelling recommendations

TracyR

Need recommendation for my 13 yr old who seems to be the world worst speller. I've used Rod and Staff spelling with her, Christian Liberty, Calvert , and a few others and she still just can't spell worth a spit.

Not sure what to do at this point, but I guess its a pet peeve of mine to have a child that is a poor speller. What can I do to remedy the issue here? She'll be an 8th grader this year and is thinking about going to private school for high school ( not set in stone yet but should it happen and she decides to do so I do want her to at least spell and write properly for the admission tests.)

I've looked at AAS , love the idea but it seems really pricey especially if you start from the beginning as I'm sure it will be really easy in the beginning so we'll move quickly and I'll have to buy more stuff. I've kept it on my list of maybe's but is there anything else out there? or should I just settle for the fact she still no matter what I've used so far just can't spell?

No expert, but I have a poor speller in 5th grade. We are seeing good result in Spelling Plus. Also, we had planned to use Megawords this year due to recommendations on this board, but he wasn't ready for it yet. So, I would look into Megawords and Spelling Plus. I think there is one called Apples and Pears for the middle grades (and high school) that is for poor spellers. Best of luck!

HTTS (How to Teach Spelling) is similar in method to AAS, but much more age appropriate words, plus it's much cheaper. I got the TM from Book Depository when they had a 10% off coupon. You would want workbook (How to Spell) 4 for that age. It still starts at the beginning with phonograms and syllables, but it doesn't have an 8th grader stuck spelling "cat". ;)

Can't say enough about Sequential Spelling by AVKO. You can download the first few lessons and instructor pages free. It's easy, cheap and works on patterns and word families. It is doing the trick with our dyslexic. He has a similar program for adult poor spellers. It is simple, no frills. A lady came out with a CD to make it totally independent. We use it with and without the CD. Works both ways.