Menu

Explorers study for 12 yr old?

rhrice3

Ladies,

Recently at a Christmas Eve Open House, someone (a teacher) made me aware that my 12 yr old dd didn't know who discovered the Pacific! And then told me that was 3rd grade stuff! UGH - luckily I was filled with holiday cheer so I just smiled and said, "Yes, but how many of them can cook meals from scratch for their entire families and have travelled across the Pacific to foreign lands?" Anyway, it made me realize that perhaps we have skipped over explorers and since we have some time in our hs schedule, we could add a good unit study or something.

Can any of you suggest something that will be intriguing for my 12yr old - we love reading and classical home schooling.

Thanks and have a Happy New Year

ReneeR

Ladies,

Recently at a Christmas Eve Open House, someone (a teacher) made me aware that my 12 yr old dd didn't know who discovered the Pacific! And then told me that was 3rd grade stuff! UGH - luckily I was filled with holiday cheer so I just smiled and said, "Yes, but how many of them can cook meals from scratch for their entire families and have travelled across the Pacific to foreign lands?" Anyway, it made me realize that perhaps we have skipped over explorers and since we have some time in our hs schedule, we could add a good unit study or something.

Can any of you suggest something that will be intriguing for my 12yr old - we love reading and classical home schooling.

ReneeR

If that is how the question was actually phrased, I would have laughed out loud. I'm sure the Japanese, Chinese, the west coast Native Americans (both North and South), Indonesians, the Australian Aborigines, etc would find the question highly insulting!

Was she trying to ask which European first traveled across the Asian continent by land? by ship? which European traveled across the North American continent?

The question is ambiguous. ;)

As far as a book, I have never used this one, but a friend recommended it. http://www.amazon.com/Explorers-Endurance-Exploration-DK-Publishing/dp/0756667372/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top (mine are too young for a 12 yr old.)

Ladies,

ReneeR

Seabird by Holling (not explorers per se, but a nice intro to sea faring)

Around the World in 100 Years by Fritz

Explorers who Got Lost

There is an explorers History Pockets book, but it's likely to be too simple for your 12 yo. However, we've spent the year doing baseball card style cards about the historical figures we've studied. That might be a good hands on activity with a built in self study aspect as he reviews the cards.

We are doing a New World Explorers lapbook this year.

One recommended book that I checked out from the library is good:

The Look-It-Up Book of Explorers (Elizabeth Cody Kimmel).

I also found a very nice website to use for research. It appears to have every explorer known to mankind in the data bank:

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/explorers/namerica.shtml

Ladies,

ReneeR

I'd also like to see her ask any 4th grader if he remembers what "social studies" he learned in 3rd grade. I'd bet 90% of them couldn't answer the question she asked your son. Sad, but true. Don't beat yourself up about it.