Menu

Let's say you have two weeks to dedicate to "life skills"

With a 9-year-old and a 6-year-old. What would you try to cover, and do you have any interesting ideas for getting lessons across?

I'm thinking about taking January 2-16 and working on a life skills intensive with my girls. I know I want to cover cleaning up our own messes (as in, really, truly SEEING what needs to be cleaned up and putting it away where it belongs, rather than just pushing things out to the sides of the room and stacking clutter neatly); making some simple foods (both girls just made themselves eggs for the first time); pitching in around the house even if the mess was made by someone else--that sort of thing. Some of these daily lessons are not sticking with my DD6 :glare:

So what other things would you deem important to teach two young girls? It's OK to speak slowly and use small words for me--all ideas are welcome! :D

Basic self-care and what it means to be in a family/household. We try not to do "chores" but rather emphasize that there are certain things you must do when part of a family- putting away laundry, clearing dishes, whatever they are capable of.

You may also want to start some skills they can practice on their own (if no one feels too overwhelmed)- like knitting, sewing, that kind of thing.

Good luck!

I actually instituted a Life Skills class as part of our actual school day.

Here's what we've covered so far this year:

How to properly wash one's hands

How to properly take a shower

Really cleaning the bathroom

Tying shoes

Review of personal info- parents' names, address, phone numbers, etc.

Conversation skills

Caring for personal property

How to properly brush one's teeth

Really cleaning one's bedroom

Saving Money (found this free cool activity book online)

Pouring drinks without spilling

Really cleaning the living room

I plan to cover phone manners, cleaning of other rooms, basic laundry skills, and other things to be determined.

You might include writing thank you notes for gifts received if you haven't already done them like some of the super organized people on here. :lol: I'm planning on incorporating more life skills starting in January also. I haven't really made a plan yet but my general list for my 6 year old so far is a more disciplined approach to chores, cooking (especially some easy breakfast and lunch ideas), dishes & laundry (she already helps but I think she's ready to do more), getting up with an alarm, managing her time for assignments, etc. Cleaning and organizing is a big one we've got to address. Her idea of clean and mine are 't lining up right now!

My experience is that around 8-10 my dc were capable of more than at 6. I wouldn't give them the same jobs.

Oh no, I get that. I'm just looking for some brainstorming here. The straw that broke the camel's back was DD6 accidentally knocking a toy mailbox into the middle of the hallway, looking at it, then walking away with the toy she was carrying :confused: Things like cereal are often getting taken out and left sitting, so she'll be focusing on things like that. DD9's things will be more like cooking and cleaning. I just need some ideas to get my creative juices flowing :D

My experience is that around 8-10 my dc were capable of more than at 6. I wouldn't give them the same jobs.

I agree. My 10 yr old can put together a microwave breakfast and take care of her older sister (bathing, dressing, brushing teeth/hair). My younger is happiest sweeping the floor, using a dust buster type vac, making beds and wiping off the table.

Cooking, knowing how to answer the telephone properly and make phone calls properly, what to do when someone rings the doorbell and you are in the shower, how to handle basic emergencies (dialing 911, what to do in case of fire, simple first aid), downed power lines, using a hair dryer, laundry (I think a 10 yr old should be able to sort and do laundry while the 6 yr old should be able to fold/hang and put away).

Personal hygiene (with a little more info for your 10 yr old in private). I also think 'stranger danger' (and how it's not always a stranger) is a good thing to talk about and how they can always come to you if something happens that makes them uncomfortable.

Maybe even something about not wasting food and how other people have very little to eat and how fortunate they are to have plenty of food.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck!

I had this wake up call last spring...teaching your children to unlock a door with a key. Our garage door broke and wouldn't open...so I handed dd the keys and asked her to go unlock the door and run around to open the garage door from inside so I could unload groceries. I sat there waiting for 5 minutes before I looked up at the door to see her standing there crying because she couldn't make it work. She had never done it before...it had totally slipped my mind that she had never had to let herself in that way.:svengo:So we have had that lesson a little later in life than it should have been.

Also, I would say that proper bicycling rules and hand signals. Again, something mine haven't really learned either because we don't live in town so we don't have to navigate traffic when we ride...but very helpful...I really need to do that.

Good thread.