Menu

Listening to ipods to go to sleep?

I was reading the previous tread and it got me to thinking. I don't let DS (16 tomorrow!) listen to his ipod when he is going to sleep. I think it will damage his hearing. It is sorta like my mom telling me not to sit close to the TV or I will damage my eye sight. I don't have any proof of this and when I googled it I am not finding anything really solid.

If he sets it down low could he sleep with it on without hurting his ears. I am sure they won't be in there in the morning with the way he moves when he sleeps.

My boys have one iPod they share and use it to listen to audiobooks on a dock. They love it. I use mine with ear buds to go to sleep only sometimes. Although I use it in the middle of the night to get back to sleep. I find that it helps me turn off my brain. If I don't use it, my brain starts spinning and thinking about a million things and I don't get back to sleep for hours. I like using my earphone things that hook over my ear, I feel that they let my ear canal breathe a little better.

Both my kids listen to music on their ipod/mp3player when they go to sleep. Sometimes they use their earphones, sometimes their speakers. I don't see why listening at night would be worse than during the day - there is no ambient noise and they can turn it on low. The actual casualty were DD's earphones which she damaged from sleeping on them.

Edited by regentrude