Menu

Would this be okay?

Laura in MI

I haven't been able to find a semester length history or science curriculum for my step kids if they decide they want to be homeschooled.

I was thinking of getting some experiment kits, making a list of documentries & books, finding some activities/crafts and not worrying about getting a formal curriculum for the semester. This would be for a 7th, 3rd & 2nd grader, Would it be okay?

I would think for the youngers that would be fine. For the 7th grader I might add in some additional research. Have them keep a Science Journal, lab reports, simple write ups of independant research. Let Him/Her focus on topics that they are interested in. There are some really great free sites Like Raders Chem4Kids/Physics4Kids/Geography4kids(Bio, Earth, ect...... )Mr Q has Biology for free I think, Or there is a link on the board here somewhere for the PDF version of all 3 Jr. High CPO's. He/She could simply do some reading to fill in the many blanks Public School will have left.

I see your thirteen-year-old is already doing Apologia Biology. Some people manage to do an Apologia Elementary book in one semester (or even less time!)--see this thread or this thread for confirmation.

In particular, Apologia Botany seems to be short enough to get done in one semester. Here's a schedule to do exactly that from Core Foundations, for example. (WARNING: link is a Word document file).

Just trying to provide another option!

I do just that with my kids. Here is a post that explains just how I take a kit and make it into a science course.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/09/how-to-create-science-course-from.html

Also, for the younger kids you may want to look at Home Science Adventures.

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=11&category=2796

These are kits with everything you need along with an easy to use science course. All of my kids loved these kits during their elementary years.