Menu

DH bought a huge ham for Christmas Dinner. How to heat it?

It's nearly impossible to find a ham that isn't precooked, so you're not actually cooking it, you're just heating it. It's safe to eat it straight out of the package.

However - any manufacturers will tell you to heat food to an absurd temperature, just to cover their behinds from potential litigation.

When I "cook" a ham, I just pop it in a 350 or so oven (or whatever temp I'm cooking other things) until it's hot.You definitely don't want to overcook it.

I don't bother to check internal temp, like I would with a cut of beef or poultry that started out raw.

If you have a roasting pan with a lid big enough to cover the ham....put it in the roaster, add a couple cups of water to the bottom, cover, and bake for an hour at 350.

I don't have a pan that big, so I would put it in whatever pan I had big enough to set it in (probably a cast iron dutch oven). Add some water, seal tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for an hour at 350. You want to get some steam action off the water to keep the ham from getting dry.