Menu

Need a graduation gift idea - my cousin just got her Masters's

My 23yo cousin just got her Master's degree in Education. She's teaching kindergarten now. I want to get her a gift that's at least somewhat related to her degree - something that she will commemorate all her hard work (in other words, not something like a basket of soaps and lotions:)). I'm coming up blank. Help!

A book about an inspiring teacher perhaps? Is there someone like Rafe Esquith who teaches K?!

How about a basket of nice hardcover, classic picture books for her room?

A gift card to a local teacher's or office supply store?

A nice plant or two for her classroom? I loved to water the plants in my K teacher's room!

She'll need books for her classroom--do you have a gently used books store nearby? How about a set of Bob Books with a couple of picture books?

How about a copy of All I Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten?

I second the gift card to the office supply store--or a teacher store, or Rainbow Resources (they have cheap individual white boards and such).

Definitely help start her classroom library. Depend ending on the state she's in you could look up subject standards and pick some books to go along with them for her grade. In other words, in George Washington is introduced in social studies and butterflies in science you could get one or two titles related to them as well as other more general titles with a range of reading levels above and below her grade.

If she's just finished her master's plus she's teaching plus getting ready for the holidays, she's probably exhausted (trust me on this). If you live nearby make her a special meal for her to enjoy at home on the last day of school she has this week. If you don't live nearby, arrange for a meal to be delivered or carried out from her favorite restaurant.

I used to make special meals for my kids' elementary teachers on their last day before winter break. They felt so treated, as in I saw tears more than once and had phone calls home thanking me. It was one of the best gifts I could have done for them.

• 1 month later...