Menu

Canadian travelling to Florida

My parents are taking our family to Orlando from December 30-January 10! Our kids (9, 7 & 4 yrs) are thrilled!! We are looking forward to some warmer weather :)

I would love to hear some suggestions for what to do during our stay there.

If anyone has any advice on finding accomodations that too would be much appreciated! :)

If you have any money saving tips you would be willing to share, I would appreciate that.

Thanks for helping this mom try to plan a trip here quickly. :tongue_smilie:

Additional places to check for lodging would be Florida Sun Vacation Homes or Vacation Central Florida. We have stayed at Windsor Hills with both of these companies and been pleased with the service and the price.

The Disney parks are highly recommended. To save money, BYO food and snacks into the park. This is allowed and utilized by many. If you want to save money on tickets, plan on getting a multi-day passes, since the per-day price goes down according to the number of days purchased.

One thing to be aware of is that Florida in December/January is not necessarily warm. Warmer than Canada, sure, but if you come expecting 80 degrees and sunny every day you'll be disappointed (and cold!). It could be in the 70's or 80's during the day, dropping down into the high 50's at night, or it could only reach the low 50's during the day and get into the 30's at night. You just never know with winter in Florida, so it helps to be prepared for everything.

Have fun!

One thing to be aware of is that Florida in December/January is not necessarily warm.

:iagree: You could even experience some freezing weather at night. Or rain, rain, rain. This time of year is very unpredictable. I was a snowbird for 15 years, and the time just after Christmas was the weirdest. Usually not swimming weather. Do bring sweaters.

Yeah, we are a couple of hours north of Orlando and a few times the past two weeks it's gone into the 40's, only to make it back up to 80 yesterday. It's a beautiful time because it does not get hot, hot. But it's not always cold. It could be one day while your here and then warm the next.

My kids do enjoy the dinner theaters. We've been to Arabian Nights and the Pirate one which I can't remember the name right now. There is a really big McDonalds that we try to go to when we are looking for some cheap fun. They have games and a big play place. Downtown Disney is free to browse around and my kids LOVE it. Old Towne used to be fun and fairly cheap, but a lot of the stores have closed down. You could still check it out.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the helpful information!

Yes, we plan to visit Disney and Sea World, possibly also Animal Kingdom and Busch Gardens. Any suggestions on how to save on the park entry fees?

Thank you for the addresses on searching homes to rent. We are hoping to find one in a nice community and fairly close to the main attractions, so thank you for those suggestions!

Any other ideas/tips for our stay? ...rental vehicles, we are looking to rent a minivan, but that is looking quite pricey!

Thanks again for your help!!:)

Thanks for all the helpful information!

Yes, we plan to visit Disney and Sea World, possibly also Animal Kingdom and Busch Gardens. Any suggestions on how to save on the park entry fees?

Thank you for the addresses on searching homes to rent. We are hoping to find one in a nice community and fairly close to the main attractions, so thank you for those suggestions!

Any other ideas/tips for our stay? ...rental vehicles, we are looking to rent a minivan, but that is looking quite pricey!

Thanks again for your help!!:)

You could do one of the rental tour deals. This will sometimes get your free or reduced admission to different parks or shows. It takes about half a day and it is VERY high pressure. If you have any trouble saying no to something don't go. My DH can say no to anyone so we've never had a problem.