Menu

Cheese Fondue Recipe???

We are celebrating Christmas with my parents/brother's family this Friday evening and plan to serve finger foods. I would love to make a cheese fondue...only I don't have a tried and true recipe. Care to share yours?

By the way, I don't live near any great food stores, so my cheese options are limited to what I can find at Kroger. Thanks!

We use a good recipe for Welsh Rarebit in the fondue pot from our 1950's Betty Crocker cookbook. I imagine any good Welsh Rarebit recipe will do ;)

Here's one from Alton Brown. Note: We use just milk instead of the beer. If you're going for beer, use Guinness. ;) Hot sauce is optional. (We omit it.) We dip with crusty white bread instead of rye. (Rye, IMHO, would be too strong for this type of fondue.) Also, omit "Pour over toast and serve immediately." Just dip in your bread and enjoy!

Edited by Medieval Mom

Do you have access to raclette and Emmentellar Swiss?

Here's how we make it:

Take a clove or two of garlic and rub it all over your pot. Add the cheeses and melt slowly. Add a splash of a good, white wine. Voila!

We use the recipe from www.blackstarfarm.com because it's just AMAZING and it's right up the road.

Now I'm hungry! :001_huh:

We use a good recipe for Welsh Rarebit in the fondue pot from our 1950's Betty Crocker cookbook. I imagine any good Welsh Rarebit recipe will do ;)

Here's one from Alton Brown. Note: We use just milk instead of the beer. If you're going for beer, use Guinness. ;) Hot sauce is optional. (We omit it.) We dip with crusty white bread instead of rye. (Rye, IMHO, would be too strong for this type of fondue.) Also, omit "Pour over toast and serve immediately." Just dip in your bread and enjoy!

After looking at many fondue recipes, we decided to go with this one. I think that a cheddar fondue will be appreciated by all of the guests and it just looks yummy. Is there anything different I should do to make it more fondue-like? (meaning, add more liquid, etc.) Also, I know that some other fondue recipes recommend mixing the shredded cheese with the flour before melting. Would that be a good idea here too?

Thanks for the suggestions!

All kids & grownups to whom I've served it love this recipe, but two notes:

1) the beer is double listed. Ignore the duplicate listing, otherwise it will be way too soupy.

2) I substitue vegetable stock for half of the beer. This makes it milder, and more kid friendly.

* You can tweak the mustard, hot sauce, and Worchestershire sauce to suit your tastes.

Albertsons has a great one in a red box that is just heat and serve. :D

PSA for anyone else interested in making their own cheese fondue. The fondue in boxes (brand name "Emmi") is Swiss-made and honestly just as good as anything you can make. Yes, you can buy the fresh cheese ~ Gruyere and Emmentaler are the two traditionally used in fondue, btw ~ but it ultimately costs far more and won't taste any different. Even our close friend who is a Swiss cheesemaker will say the same.:)