Menu

Critique my new year schedule

AimeeM

We are advancing to 5th/6th grade this January. I am educating assuming she will continue homeschooling, but also need to be aware she may need to transition back into Catholic school next year. This past year (April - now) has been spent remediating fourth grade which, apparently, wasn't really necessary and it appears she's just been... bored :glare:. She prefers textbooks, and learns better from them, so we are in for a complete overhaul. Let me know if I'm missing something, or if you care to recommend anything additional for a math-y, science loving; writing and history hating child :D.

Math - Key To series, filling in the gaps with Exploring Elementary Mathematics ( 1970). Perhaps also using Singapore ONLY for mental math technique.

Logic - Logic Liftoff

English/Grammar - Seton English 5

English/Writing - WWE 2 (just to brush up on narration and dictation; Seton has writing included in their English)

Religion - Religion 5 for Young Catholics (Seton)

Science - Ellen McHenry's Elements, a physics study with Dad, Ellen McHenry's Carbon Chemistry, Ellen McHenry's Cells (in that order, working through the summer)

History/Geography - All Ye Lands (Catholic Textbook Project)

Reading Comprehension - Seton Reading 6

Latin - I Speak Latin (Andrew Campbell)

Vocabulary - Vocab From Classical Roots 5 *or* Seton's Vocabulary

Spelling - ????? She is a horrible, horrible, horrible speller

I'd recommend All About Spelling! You could probably go through it pretty quickly, but it would fill in her gaps. My horrible spelling 9 year old is just finishing Level 2.

Sorry. Should have mentioned that we don't want anything auditory based for spelling. We'd prefer something a bit more traditional. Thanks though!

We do Spelling Workout for spelling. I don't find it terribly thrilling, but it seems to work for the kids and isn't expensive. It introduces the words, and has 4 pages of exercises with the words each week. So for level D (4th grade) page 1 of the week has the words in context in a reading passage, page 2 some writing with them, page 3 using in sentences/word scramble or such, page 4 use in proofreading and then write a paragraph using list words. Pretty traditional.

How do you like Seton religion?

I've heard good things about Calvert's spelling CD. Apples & Pears is very good for struggling spellers. Then there's always the ultimate "traditional" spelling - Webster's, Wheeler's, or Sheldon's Spellers.

Everything else looks good. Are you planning to do art or music at all?

I've heard good things about Calvert's spelling CD. Apples & Pears is very good for struggling spellers. Then there's always the ultimate "traditional" spelling - Webster's, Wheeler's, or Sheldon's Spellers.

Everything else looks good. Are you planning to do art or music at all?

I've heard good things about AP spelling too, but I believe it's auditory based.

My husband instructs in piano and accordion. Art is outsourced! :001_smile:

We do Spelling Workout for spelling. I don't find it terribly thrilling, but it seems to work for the kids and isn't expensive. It introduces the words, and has 4 pages of exercises with the words each week. So for level D (4th grade) page 1 of the week has the words in context in a reading passage, page 2 some writing with them, page 3 using in sentences/word scramble or such, page 4 use in proofreading and then write a paragraph using list words. Pretty traditional.

How do you like Seton religion?

We haven't started Seton religion yet, but I'll let you know. We aren't Faith and Life fans ;)

I've heard good things about AP spelling too, but I believe it's auditory based.

My husband instructs in piano and accordion. Art is outsourced! :001_smile:

It has some auditory work (dictation) but isn't really auditory based. Most of it is visual. You can view each book in its entirety here. (Click on "see inside" for each book.)

Edited by Aurelia

We are advancing to 5th/6th grade this January. I am educating assuming she will continue homeschooling, but also need to be aware she may need to transition back into Catholic school next year. This past year (April - now) has been spent remediating fourth grade which, apparently, wasn't really necessary and it appears she's just been... bored :glare:. She prefers textbooks, and learns better from them, so we are in for a complete overhaul. Let me know if I'm missing something, or if you care to recommend anything additional for a math-y, science loving; writing and history hating child :D.

Math - Key To series, filling in the gaps with Exploring Elementary Mathematics ( 1970). Perhaps also using Singapore ONLY for mental math technique.

Logic - Logic Liftoff

English/Grammar - Seton English 5

English/Writing - WWE 2 (just to brush up on narration and dictation; Seton has writing included in their English)

Religion - Religion 5 for Young Catholics (Seton)

Science - Ellen McHenry's Elements, a physics study with Dad, Ellen McHenry's Carbon Chemistry, Ellen McHenry's Cells (in that order, working through the summer)

History/Geography - All Ye Lands (Catholic Textbook Project)

Reading Comprehension - Seton Reading 6

Latin - I Speak Latin (Andrew Campbell)

Vocabulary - Vocab From Classical Roots 5 *or* Seton's Vocabulary

Spelling - ????? She is a horrible, horrible, horrible speller

Did you enroll in the Seton English course or the reading course? Because the main portion of their writing is included in their lessons plans and not in the grammar book. It is also a heavy element of their Reading course, but only in the lesson plans.

WWE would cover writing, but at that level, you may want to add in a few things. The Remedia Publications Outlining book would be a good writing supplement.

Edited by Asenik

Did you enroll in the Seton English course or the reading course? Because the main portion of their writing is included in their lessons plans and not in the grammar book. It is also a heavy element of their Reading course, but only in the lesson plans.

WWE would cover writing, but at that level, you may want to add in a few things. The Remedia Publications Outlining book would be a good writing supplement.

I was thinking of not enrolling. I think I'll takeyour suggestion and add the remedial outlining to Seton English and WWE?

I was thinking of not enrolling. I think I'll takeyour suggestion and add the remedial outlining to Seton English and WWE?

I don't think enrolling is necessary, unless you really want the lesson plans. Even if you are looking for grading and feedback with the writing, you may want to look at enrolling in the Reading course, as that is where the real writing assignments are placed, IMO. But that is not necessary either.

The Remedia book is not very big, so it won't take a whole year. It is a pretty nice little book, and it does the job well. I think they have two levels for it. I need to buy it again to use with my 10 yo DD.

I think the plan looks good. :001_smile:

Yeah, we're not thrilled either is why I asked. LOL

Seton Religion is not that different from F&L. The content is very similar. It is a little more vehement. ;). But the main difference is that Seton is broken up into daily lessons, and F&L is more naturally a weekly lesson. Seton has the lesson and then a few questions at the bottom of the page. If you enroll, they have you memorizing the BC too.

We have been discussing this on the Crossing the Tiber social group, and there are some other ideas there. Or if you want to let me know the grades you are looking for, I may be able to help you find something you like better.

Seton Religion is not that different from F&L. The content is very similar. It is a little more vehement. ;). But the main difference is that Seton is broken up into daily lessons, and F&L is more naturally a weekly lesson. Seton has the lesson and then a few questions at the bottom of the page. If you enroll, they have you memorizing the BC too.

We have been discussing this on the Crossing the Tiber social group, and there are some other ideas there. Or if you want to let me know the grades you are looking for, I may be able to help you find something you like better.

FL just doesn't seem very homeschooling friendly :tongue_smilie:

FL just doesn't seem very homeschooling friendly :tongue_smilie:

Well, like most programs, it was designed for parishes to use in CCD. Seton was designed more with homeschooling in mind, but really the main difference is not content but format. F&L is weekly, and Seton is daily. Otherwise, they are a lot alike.

I started out using Seton, and we would probably still be using it if my parish had not insisted we use something on the USCCB approved list as a condition to being exempted from their CCD classes. F&L is most definitely the most homeschool-friendly thing on that list for k-8. We kept using is after we moved because I had the whole series already and the weekly format was easier for me to schedule.

I use F&L to cover my bases, but I don't use it alone. I really like the CHC supplemental stuff in the younger years. And I love many of the things Mater Amabilis uses as the kids get older. I think all the catechisms, used by themselves, are kind of dry.

Edited by Asenik

You have more confidence than me :D

Between the two year old throwing his cheerios in the fireplace, and OB appointments for new Baby Schmoo, my desire to put much effort into anything is about... nil :glare:

Well, like most programs, it was designed for parishes to use in CCD. Seton was designed more with homeschooling in mind, but really the main difference is not content but format. F&L is weekly, and Seton is daily. Otherwise, they are a lot alike.

But as homeschoolers, we don't have to stick with just the put-together programs. I use F&L to have my bases covered. But you can find other more interesting ways to do it without a formal program.

You have more confidence than me :D

Between the two year old throwing his cheerios in the fireplace, and OB appointments for new Baby Schmoo, my desire to put much effort into anything is about... nil :glare:

Not more confidence, but fewer little ones! ;). My baby is 8.

I went back and edited my post because I felt like it sounded like I write all my own. I don't. I use F&L as a base and add in things that we find beautiful and interesting. I am more a scavenger than an artist. :D. But it does work for us. There is a lot of really great stuff out there to use that is not a put-together, formal program. But it is more work to pull it together and more time than most of us have.

Sorry. Should have mentioned that we don't want anything auditory based for spelling. We'd prefer something a bit more traditional. Thanks though!

I have one boy using Spelling Workout and another using Building Spelling Skills by Evan Moor. Both are your traditional here's a word list, study and work with it for the week, take your test.

We enjoy the new St. Joseph's more than any curriculum we've found. Unfortunately, as I spent many years not practicing, and my husband is often away from home... I'm too chicken to put together my own stuff.

I have a ton of *stuff* to do it with, I just can't seem to do it. Lol!

We love some of CHC for religion as well. We have the Father Brown Mystery Reader, Catholic Tales, etc.

Not more confidence, but fewer little ones! ;). My baby is 8.

I went back and edited my post because I felt like it sounded like I write all my own. I don't. I use F&L as a base and add in things that we find beautiful and interesting. I am more a scavenger than an artist. :D. But it does work for us. There is a lot of really great stuff out there to use that is not a put-together, formal program. But it is more work to pull it together and more time than most of us have.

We enjoy the new St. Joseph's more than any curriculum we've found. Unfortunately, as I spent many years not practicing, and my husband is often away from home... I'm too chicken to put together my own stuff.

I have a ton of *stuff* to do it with, I just can't seem to do it. Lol!

We love some of CHC for religion as well. We have the Father Brown Mystery Reader, Catholic Tales, etc.

If you like it, why use the Seton? You could use the St. Joseph's by itself. Ot add in a saint book once a week and a Bible story book and call it good.

I'm probably making it incredibly difficult. At this stage of the game (or pregnancy - let's blame it on that), I find myself over-complicating everything :glare:

Oh, so she is the one making it complicated? :D

Seton religion should work for you. :001_smile:

Can I ask why?

The spelling programs I used, and my husband used, were generally sufficient. Autumn is a strong visual learner (which is why we want standard and not something auditory based).

I am sincerely curious - not being snarky.

If you go with a traditional spelling program I would tweak it a bit. Try adding in flashcards, learning to spell the words backwards, have a list of the rules to memorize.

Coming late to the game here ;) , but in terms of a traditional spelling program, if Autumn is really struggling with spelling, something like AAS (though not visual in nature, but might still work with the letter tiles) will help her "unlock" spelling rather than just memorizing a list of words each week. My oldest seems more visual (but also is a strong auditory learner too it seems) has really learned so much by understanding the rules behind spelling. So, with something that is more of a list of words, it may not help her spelling in the long run. Just an idea. :)

I feel like Apples and Pears is extremely auditory, which to me is the selling point for the program. It has been fantastic for my son, who has auditory discrimination issues.

Tara

Apples and Pears has been wonderful for my son! He has severe dyslexia and has made huge improvements. This is probably one of the best purchases I've made for him.

Autumn is a sincerely terrible speller - but can memorize words easily, if that makes sense.

AAS is auditory, from what I understand; and Autumn has Auditory Processing Difficulties (we don't care for the term disability, lol). We were told by our local dyslexia/ld school that the auditory programs typically used for dyslexic students would make it worse if coupled with auditory processing problems, because programs like AAS are auditory based.

Coming late to the game here ;) , but in terms of a traditional spelling program, if Autumn is really struggling with spelling, something like AAS (though not visual in nature, but might still work with the letter tiles) will help her "unlock" spelling rather than just memorizing a list of words each week. My oldest seems more visual (but also is a strong auditory learner too it seems) has really learned so much by understanding the rules behind spelling. So, with something that is more of a list of words, it may not help her spelling in the long run. Just an idea. :)

Autumn has Auditory Processing Difficulties (we don't care for the term disability, lol)

So does my son. Apples and Pears has been fantastic for him because it really helped him focus on and isolate phonemes and morphemes. I think that a huge part of why he was such an abysmal, abysmal speller (think: in 3rd grade he would do things like spell the word "as" hs, or the word "wing" fing). It was because he couldn't hear the sounds that made up the words. Apples and Pears has given him extensive practice in discriminating the sounds, and he can now sound things out as he spells, and because he can do that he can recognize when he has made a mistake. I just gave him one of the periodic mastery tests in A&P and there were three times that he wrote a word down incorrectly, sounded it out to check, realized his mistake, and corrected it.

Three months ago I would never have believed it possible.

Tara