Menu

Just caught dd eating tuna salad made with old boiled eggs. WWYD?

We boiled some eggs a while back (1.5-2 weeks, I'd guess) and put the ones we didn't use in a bowl in the fridge. That bowl got pushed back behind other things and I forgot about it.

Until today.

I smelled the tuna sandwich and asked dd when she'd boiled eggs. She used the ones she found in the fridge. :tongue_smilie:

I plan to use boiled eggs within a few days -- not weeks!

Worry or not? Anything to do as a precaution against illness?

tia

I wouldn't worry in the least! Hard boiled eggs get noticeably funky when they're really old- she wouldn't have used them. I'm a huge nut for food safety and freshness, but hard boiled eggs are one thing I have no problem using for a long time. We easily have Easter eggs lurking about for a month or so beyond Easter, and still eat them with no troubles.

I'm jumping on the don't worry about it bandwagon. It's amazing how long eggs can last (if they rotted in a week or so, there'd never be time for them to develop and hatch, and chickens don't exactly refrigerate their nests to keep them fresh). Refrigerating and boiling both extend the shelf life of an egg. Of course, there's no telling how long they'd been sitting around in shipping and on a store shelf, but still. And as others have said, bad eggs have a distinctive odor and flavor. So I say if they didn't smell bad or taste bad they were fine.