Menu

Singapore Help

yucabird

My daughter is about to finish Earlybird. She catches on to topics fairly quickly, says math is “funâ€, and enjoys a bit of a challenge. We will stick with Singapore as our primary program (We’re also doing some Miquon, living books, and games.), and I am able to order any items which could be beneficial.

If you were in my shoes, what program (US or Standards) and extra materials would you purchase?

ErinE, thanks for the response. She'll be finished with Earlybird K before February, and yes, she will be easily be able to move into first grade work. However, I don't feel the need rush to the next Singapore book just to say we are there; we've got plenty of time, and rabbit trails are fun and useful. I'll check out MEP K, and perhaps take some things from it before we move into the next Singapore book (plus Miquon, living books, and games). Do you recommend the MEP first grade program as well?

I don't have a firm time frame, but I am thinking that around April she could start the next Singapore book. I have read other positive reports about the HIGs, so Standards will probably be the pick. But there are BUNCHES of supplementary items listed on Singapore's site: Intensive Practice, Sprints, Challenging Word Problems, Extra Practice, Tests, Process Skills, Math Express, and Visible Thinking. It's laughable to envision a 5 yo slugging away at all that...so which ones--if any--should be purchased?

You would either order the HIG *OR* the TM but not both. I would recommend the HIG since it's geared for HS rather than classroom use.

In terms of the extras, I would order the CWP and either the IP *OR* the EP. IP for a bright child, EP for one who is struggling. An average student, I would do the IP 1-2 semesters behind.

My daughter is about to finish Earlybird. She catches on to topics fairly quickly, says math is “fun”, and enjoys a bit of a challenge. We will stick with Singapore as our primary program (We’re also doing some Miquon, living books, and games.), and I am able to order any items which could be beneficial.

If you were in my shoes, what program (US or Standards) and extra materials would you purchase?

The US is older, so I would recommend the Standards. Simply because she was able to refine the HIG's and make them better the second time around.

I also agree that you don't need both the TM and the HIG. The TM's are geared to classroom use, and I didn't find them that helpful. Though I know at least one mom here prefers them.

I used the text and workbook (of course) with HIG. I also liked the Intensive practice and word problem books. But I don't know how good the new word problem books are. The ones I have went out of print. The Intensive Practice books take concepts learned in the main text one step further in math logic, so it can be a bit challenging. The extra practice books are just that, extra practice on the same level as the main text.

Heather

Edited by siloam
Had US and Standard backwards, grrrr...

For my mathy kid who get the concepts pretty fast we use the TB, WB and IP books. For some topics we do the IP alone, for some it provides extra practice, for both it provides problems that require thinking about things in an extra way or that are more challenging. I got the EP books when we first started but have not used them for my son. I also have the CWP books which I like for extra word problems.

We used a combo of Miquon, MEP, and Primary Mathemstics Standards Edition, and the RightStart games (and other elements). There is great synergy in this combo. MEP adds early "thinking" challenges that complements the other work. The Singapore IPs are good too (you need to order US Edition, as that is all that has been published yet)

It is the Standards Edition of Prmary Mathematics (Singapore) that is newer and has the updated improved HIGs. I recommend these for your "core" Textbook/Workbook.

Bill

We used the US edition (5 years ago). We used the text, workbook, intensive practice, extra practice, AND word problems. We also bought the CD ROM game Rainbow Rock. I really drilled bonds and it really paid off. We've been using Singapore the whole way through with all the extras. I've gotten them all every year. Sometimes I didn't need ALL the extras, but I had them to reinforce a concept she didn't have down pat. The games are fun too.