Menu

Catholic History Book recommendations ......

Can anyone recommend a book or books that would give me a good overview of Catholic history? I was raised Protestant but, after taking some courses at the Catholic college attached to the university here, I've been inspired to learn more about my "roots". :D I've also been reading some medieval literature and am feeling that I'd have an easier time getting into the heads of some of the characters if I knew more about Catholicism. Any recommendations would be appreciated! :bigear:

This isn't a book, but a course on CD-Rom that my son and I are enjoying this year from Ascension Press:

Epic: A Journey Through Church History, 20-Part Study (20 CDs)

by Steve Weidenkopf

Journey through the history of Catholicism! This exciting 20-part (20 hour) CD series contains the audio from Epic DVD series, and takes you through the major people, places and events that make up the history of the Catholic Church. You will see the glory of the Church founded by Christ and understand where you fit into this Epic story.

HTH,

Brenda

Here's a fairly secular history of Christianity: http://www.amazon.com/Story-Christianity-Early-Church-Present/dp/1565635221/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324128782&sr=8-3

The first volume covers only pre reformation history while the second reformation and beyond. It also covers protestant history, but continues to cover RC developments. It's pretty even handed. The first volume had many mini biographies that encouraged me to read some of the works of early church leaders.

Are you looking for a textbook or an overview of Catholic contributions to civilization that have been PC-ed out of most history texts? I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for.

If you are looking for textbooks, I recommend either Didache's or Fr. Laux's.

http://www.ignatius.com/IProducts/23200/history-of-the-church-student-book.aspx

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/catholic-books/church-history/sku/86

If you are interested in the latter:

http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Church-Built-Western-Civilization/dp/0895260387/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If you are looking for something different, if you narrow what you are looking for, I'll try to think of other recommendations.

Are you looking for a textbook or an overview of Catholic contributions to civilization that have been PC-ed out of most history texts? I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Church-Built-Western-Civilization/dp/0895260387/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If you are looking for something different, if you narrow what you are looking for, I'll try to think of other recommendations.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. :tongue_smilie: Because of the above mentioned Catholic courses, I've been inspired to learn more about the Catholic church through the eyes of Catholics; basically why Catholics believe what they believe, and I thought an overview of Catholic history would be a good place to start. However, I didn't make that completely clear in my original post because I didn't want to limit the recommendations; while I'd prefer suggestions by Catholics, I'm also open to any other suggestions people are willing to give. I wasn't planning on reading a book on church history through secular eyes but Candid's suggestion is very intriquing. If I'd made my request too narrow, it might not have been offered. :001_smile:

All your suggestions are right in line with what I'm looking for (How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization is already in my Amazon cart!); I've love to see any others you can send my way!

We're using Church History in Plain Language with MFW. I've read other folks on the board that used it. It gives pretty thorough coverage of the progression of Christianity. I find it fascinating to explore the different protections and concerns that affected various developments in Christianity.

CHPL isn't overly biased IMHO, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to a Catholic because it examines not only developments within the Catholic church but also changes emerging from without. For a Protestant who wants to explore roots and connections and reasons, though, I'm really enjoying it.

It probably could be in a tad more "plain" language if I were the editor :), but the length is mostly from covering a lot of ground and the outside history, politics, and culture that was growing alongside Christianity.

Julie

Well, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. :tongue_smilie: Because of the above mentioned Catholic courses, I've been inspired to learn more about the Catholic church through the eyes of Catholics; basically why Catholics believe what they believe, and I thought an overview of Catholic history would be a good place to start. However, I didn't make that completely clear in my original post because I didn't want to limit the recommendations; while I'd prefer suggestions by Catholics, I'm also open to any other suggestions people are willing to give. I wasn't planning on reading a book on church history through secular eyes but Candid's suggestion is very intriquing. If I'd made my request too narrow, it might not have been offered. :001_smile:

All your suggestions are right in line with what I'm looking for (How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization is already in my Amazon cart!); I've love to see any others you can send my way!

If I may it sounds like you maybe looking for something more than one book will give you.

I think a good church history, but also some theology (maybe biography) along the way might be helpful. Or maybe dueling church histories. I'm doing something similar in the coming year reading some shorter church history combined with some of the early catechisms and confessions (with commentary). I'd give you my list, but this year I'm looking at reformation documents so not so helpful to you (although I must say I've found some very interesting resources).

The more I read the more everything seems tied together!

Well, I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. :tongue_smilie: Because of the above mentioned Catholic courses, I've been inspired to learn more about the Catholic church through the eyes of Catholics; basically why Catholics believe what they believe, and I thought an overview of Catholic history would be a good place to start.

Hi,

If you're looking for a general overview, then I'd recommend these free courses from the Catholic Home Study Service.

http://www.amm.org/chss/chss.asp

I've been Catholic all my life, but once I started teaching my children the faith many years ago, I realized that there were some holes in my knowledge. I took the course called "We Believe ... A Survey of the Catholic Faith", and I found it very informative.

HTH,

Brenda

This is the world history book Seton uses:

http://www.setonbooks.com/viewone.php?ToView=P-HI10-11

It begins with the Old Testament and goes forward from there. It might give you some of what you're looking for.

ETA: Here's the description from Amazon:

Book Description

Publication Date: April 1, 2009

Here is a fast paced, highly readable and interesting Catholic world history. It clearly illustrates that Christ is the central figure in all of history. Unabashedly proud of our brilliant Catholic heritage, Dr Carroll examines all historical developments from the point of view of the Church and the enhancement or decline of the influence of the Church upon the historical scene. Whereas most secular histories written today give but a grudging acknowledgment to the role of the Catholic Church in forming Western and therefore modern civilization, this book makes the role of Christ and the contribution of His Church unquestionable. A great book for students, parents, history buffs and educators.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I rec this all the time, but it's a few tomes.

The Founding of Christendom

The Building of Christendom

The Glory of Christendom

The Cleaving of Christendom

I read only the last book in the series because its focus is on the Protestant Reformation, the aspect I had wanted to understand. They are huge, but, believe it or not, they are riveting. Sounds crazy, but it's true. I couldn't wait to be able to read it every night. :001_smile:

About the author

Warren Carroll (1932–2011) was founder of Christendom College, serving as president from 1977–85, and as chairman of the Department of History from 1985–2002. Carroll earned an M.A. and Ph.D. in history from Columbia Uni*versity. The author of numerous books, he has won a well-deserved reputation as one of the foremost Catholic historians of our time.

I rec this all the time, but it's a few tomes.

The Founding of Christendom

The Building of Christendom

The Glory of Christendom

The Cleaving of Christendom

I read only the last book in the series because its focus is on the Protestant Reformation, the aspect I had wanted to understand. They are huge, but, believe it or not, they are riveting. Sounds crazy, but it's true. I couldn't wait to be able to read it every night. :001_smile:

About the author

I've been wanting those books for years!

My dd is doing World History with the Anne Carroll book, and for preparation (I've already read it several times) I've been comparing what she says with SWB's books. It's been fascinating! AC is completely overstated in some areas (like about the Harappa civilization - somehow all the evil in India came from this one civilization we know next to nothing about, kind of a stretch) and totally pro-Catholic, but for Catholics who have only ever learned about the "evil Catholic Church" it's a breath of fresh air.

I've been wanting those books for years!

My dd is doing World History with the Anne Carroll book, and for preparation (I've already read it several times) I've been comparing what she says with SWB's books. It's been fascinating! AC is completely overstated in some areas (like about the Harappa civilization - somehow all the evil in India came from this one civilization we know next to nothing about, kind of a stretch) and totally pro-Catholic, but for Catholics who have only ever learned about the "evil Catholic Church" it's a breath of fresh air.

Am I correct that Warren and Anne are husband and wife? Dd is enjoying her history book too. :)

One thing I liked about Didache's History of the Church is that it ties in points from the catechism in every chapter, allowing you to see the consistency of Church teaching over time. It's a big book, and it's beautiful...and a bit pricey.

There's been some discussion here in the past about bias in the Anne Carroll books (not Warren Carroll's books, though). I don't know enough about that to get into it, but I can say, as a public school graduate who had never was exposed a Catholic perspective of history, Christ the King, Lord of History was interesting and worth reading to get me thinking about some issues prior to hsing my own children. It's inexpensive, entertaining, and easy reading. Warren Carroll's books obviously go into a lot more detail and seem a little drier.

I really enjoyed H.W. Crocker's Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church: A 2,000 Year History.

While a very thorough and fairly scholarly, it is still a great read. Great use of language, strong narrative, a real page-turner. This is no small feat with a book on Church history! Crocker does have some strong views on certain events/ideas throughout and isn't afraid to let that be known, but I think it adds to the excitement of the book.