Menu

Need Co-op Ideas

Country Girl

Looking for ideas that could be used in a co-op setting for approx. 5-7 kids ages 8 to 11 (may allow the 7 year olds to join too). Here is what we are looking for:

1. Something all laid out that would be easy to alternate teaching between 2 teachers

2. Supplies included or very easy to find

3. Something hands on (the group is mostly active boys)

4. Something that easily fits into a 1x/week schedule with a mtg. time of approx. 1-1.5 hours. Also, something around 10-15 weeks in duration.

We have been considering the Lego WeDo Robotics kit or the new Lego Simple Machines kit but really can't find out too much about these and so we are still looking for other options.

Thanks!

Are you looking for something fun to do or to fulfill a specific subject? I love Writing Tales for a co-op. Totally laid out easily for weekly lesson plans and homework schedule for kids, with fun games. But class members would probably need to like to write. It's fun for those who are extra creative. No idea if this was what you were looking for.

You could do a Janice VanCleave book, but the supplies would have to be rounded up.

One semester I ordered a bunch of science kits from Steve Spangler, you can choose a topic and stick with it. Some of his stuff comes with background info. We did all polymers. One week we examined how fake snow is exactly the same stuff they use in diapers.

I also did a 10 week class on Volcanoes. I taught them about volcanoes the first week, and then assigned them to do a report on a different volcano around the world. Then we spent 2 weeks listening to them alll give their reports. The next 6 weeks were spent making huge paper mache volcanoes. We often reviewed the facts while they were working with their hands, and I asked them to paint them to match the description of their real volcano. One kid had a black volcano, another had goats that lived on the volcano. THe last week we exploded them all.

How about some geography memory work?

Y'all could definitely learn all the states, capitols, and a few other facts about each state at a steady pace in that time frame.

You could have a laminated map for each boy, puzzles, games where you get a turn when they correctly answer a question (any game--Jenga, whatever), play geography Jeopardy, lapbooks on different states, and any number of other hands-on activities.

The first few minutes could be review, then activities, then introduction of new material, and a final activity that incorporates the new material.

I think you didn't get a lot of ideas because what you're asking for (a laid out program, hands on, good for use with a group) may not have many options out there.

Is there some reason that the two teachers who are switching off have to teach the same thing? What if you each chose something and alternated so that the kids got different things but still go to cohere as a group? It would eliminate the need for having a program that's really laid out.

Thank you all for the ideas. They are helping me get out of my box and try to think of other options. I'm going to think a bit more about some of the other science ideas that were mentioned here and see if we can make something work. I also like the geography idea and will mention that to the other teacher as well.

I guess we don't have to do the same thing, we could just do our own thing and then alternate topics each week. Our thinking was that by staying on one topic, we could get more in depth. However, maybe that also means things could get more boring:confused:.

Thanks again, and I'm still open to other ideas.

I have taught an after school science club several times at our charter school. I use resources from pbskids.org--you may have to do a little searching, but they have handouts from the show Zoom and Fetch that you can print off. They are written for 3-5th graders to read, follow directions, and complete the science experiment or project. I did this with another mom and we rotated weeks we would be in charge. It did take time buying the materials, and then I'd assemble them in gallon ziplocs so that each child had a bag ready to go and could just dig right in. Materials were common household items and easy enough to find.

I will try to find the link and come back with it. We did things like a soda bottle rocket, built bridges, made a marble roller coaster, etc. The thing I loved about it is the directions were written plainly for the kids but they also provided more info so I could teach the concepts and answer questions. Often I'd get a library book or two to go along w the subject and it worked great.

How about something based on The Dangerous Book for Boys? I know they have kits, but I don't know if that's practical in a group setting money wise.

Also, something based on Backyard Ballistics would be fun, though not laid out for you.

Oooh....I just had a good idea. I have a book called The Young Man's Handybook. http://www.christianbook.com/young-mans-handybook-preparing-your-homefront/gail-keppenman/9780984128211/pd/627633

While you would still need to gather supplies, you could definitely use it as a curriculum already laid out for you. They have chapters on the following:

In the kitchen

The Young Gentleman (manners)

First Aid and Safety

The Young Handyman (includes home maintenance, cleaning)

Woodworking (whittling, making your own toolbox, birdhouse, paddleboats,and for the really ambitious--building a cabin!)

Along the Garden Fence (planning and planting, tools, worms, making a split rail fence)

Outdoor Adventures (camping, hiking, knot tying)

Learning to Manage Your Money

Thanks! You all have given me some really good ideas. In fact, I'm already envisioning how we could incorporate several of the things over the next several semesters and with the differing age groups. We are definitely a boy dominated group and I think even the some of the older boys could get really excited about some of these ideas.

Thanks!

I'm teaching Seabird come February. Every week we'll be reading the next part of the book. Then start on some hand-on activities. For two classes they will be carving their own soap seabirds. We'll be making a whale bone model out of cardboard another week. Learning about ships, and they need to build one of their own, I limited the size and weight! See, I can learn from my mistakes! LOL

Each of them will have "crew" jobs and they will be completing a semi-prepared lap book by doing hunts for some of the components. I'm really excited about the class!

I'm teaching Seabird come February. Every week we'll be reading the next part of the book. Then start on some hand-on activities. For two classes they will be carving their own soap seabirds. We'll be making a whale bone model out of cardboard another week. Learning about ships, and they need to build one of their own, I limited the size and weight! See, I can learn from my mistakes! LOL

Each of them will have "crew" jobs and they will be completing a semi-prepared lap book by doing hunts for some of the components. I'm really excited about the class!

This sounds like a fun class!