Menu

History?

Slipper

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to help me put things together for January.

I want a curriculum for history that my daughter can use. I have read through the boards and know that SOTW is one that I think we would enjoy. However, it seems that SOTW is used along with other history curriculums? I'm afraid that I'm a bit confused as to why more than one history curriculum is needed?

My daughter loves to read and I know she will want to read additional materials that correspond to what we are studying. She enjoys school work. At this time, I don't need a 'heavy' history program. She's in 1st grade. She can read simple chapter books, but definitely prefers fiction over non-fiction. I don't want a boring program.

She's also very artsy-craftsy which is another reason I was drawn to SOTW. My husband and I have a very firm belief that children should find learning fun and so far, they have.

At the same time, my mother is a guidance counselor and there is a definite coolness towards our decision to home school our youngest. She keeps wanting to know if our daughter will be behind when school starts next fall. (I don't think we're sending her back, but we aren't making that decision now).

I appreciate your help and suggestions. :)

You do not need any other curric w/SOTW, especially if you are using the A.G. and the suggestions for doing history from The Well Trained Mind The book itself without the A.G. can be read along with other currics. That may be how some combine it. But it is meant as a full curric. I have been using it for 4 yrs now as a full curric, and will start again with vol. 1 next year w/my youngest. Have fun!

Grandparents who work in the PS system can be difficult to "win" over to homeschooling, but as best as you can, let it roll off your back for now. Let the results speak for themselves over the next few years.

My MIL is a retired PS kindergarten/1st grade teacher, and she was skeptical at first. My SIL is currently a 1st grade PS teacher. They see how much my kids have learned, how much they are involved in, and how they interact with the world around them, and they are my biggest cheerleaders now. My kids are in 4th & 2nd grade.

The curricula that use Story of the World as one text within their plan are not "an additional curriculum." History Odyssey, for example is just one curriculum; it happens to incorporate Story of the World as one choice of book among several that you read throughout the course of the year.

It also includes mapping, activities, a long list of recommended books and authors for each unit of study for you to pick and choose from (helpful if you are using the local library-- they may have some but not others-- or if you are trying to match your child's reading level or interests) so that you have a guided, well-organized program that is still quite easy to customize in terms of bringing in as much or as little additional reading as you wish.

History Odyssey works in a different order from the order presented in SOTW and does not use the SOTW activity guide; it provides its own activities (which I personally preferred). I have to skip some of the History Pockets (my boys are NOT artsy- craftsy :D) or modify them a bit :).

Hope that helps! Just like any other curriculum on here, there are huge fans (it is after all, the book written by the sponsor of this forum and author of TWTM!!) and those who see it as a nice supplement to a well-rounded program, or a "Spine" from which to jump off into more depth once a topic has been introduced, and those who can't stand it.

Jen

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to help me put things together for January.

I want a curriculum for history that my daughter can use. I have read through the boards and know that SOTW is one that I think we would enjoy. However, it seems that SOTW is used along with other history curriculums? I'm afraid that I'm a bit confused as to why more than one history curriculum is needed?

My daughter loves to read and I know she will want to read additional materials that correspond to what we are studying. She enjoys school work. At this time, I don't need a 'heavy' history program. She's in 1st grade. She can read simple chapter books, but definitely prefers fiction over non-fiction. I don't want a boring program.

She's also very artsy-craftsy which is another reason I was drawn to SOTW. My husband and I have a very firm belief that children should find learning fun and so far, they have.

At the same time, my mother is a guidance counselor and there is a definite coolness towards our decision to home school our youngest. She keeps wanting to know if our daughter will be behind when school starts next fall. (I don't think we're sending her back, but we aren't making that decision now).

I appreciate your help and suggestions. :)