Menu

I need decorating help...QUICK!

My boss gave me permission to redecorate my office... paint, carpet, chairs...

But I have no idea what to pick and they need to order things within the next day or so. Here are the parameters:

My desk and cabinets are staying as they are newer. They are cherry wood and black. Also, the office is really small with almost no natural light (one small window).

I dont want cream or white. I like color. And I obviously need something that will look good with the existing furniture.

So what colors of paint should I pick? Carpet color?????

This will probably not get decorated again for another decade so I gotta get it right this time. :tongue_smilie:

What do you see out of your window?

If you see the ocean, bring in the ocean colors. When you look away from the window, you will still feel the colors around you.

If you see greenery, use a soft green (not mint, but more on a light sage)

If you see the city, pick a soft yellow.

If you see the garbage dump....pick any of the above. :)

I don't like colors that remind me of office supplies used in public/school buildings. No white (paper), no manila envelope yellow, no cardboard box taupe, etc.

I like the colors of nature and the feeling they bring into a room.

If the window doesn't help, find a photo that you love and look to that for color ideas.

For furniture....where are you ordering from?

What do you see out of your window?

If you see the ocean, bring in the ocean colors. When you look away from the window, you will still feel the colors around you.

If you see greenery, use a soft green (not mint, but more on a light sage)

If you see the city, pick a soft yellow.

If you see the garbage dump....pick any of the above. :)

I don't like colors that remind me of office supplies used in public/school buildings. No white (paper), no manila envelope yellow, no cardboard box taupe, etc.

I like the colors of nature and the feeling they bring into a room.

If the window doesn't help, find a photo that you love and look to that for color ideas.

For furniture....where are you ordering from?

When I look out my window I see a wall (it is a creamy yellow color). The only furniture I am ordering are three chairs for parents to sit in as we talk and they will be standard black office chairs.

What kind of feeling do you like? Cool, spa like, "clean" feeling? Or more warm and cozy?

Pick a neutral carpet. It can be helpful to hold the paint chips up to the carpet because even neutrals like beige/tan can (and usually do) have pink undertones, green undertones, etc.

eta: here are some blogs I like for color theory. Bossycolor has a "best of bossy" section on color with lots of good paint recommendations. You can google images to see more pics of those colors

http://blog.bossycolor.com/category/best-of-bossys-colors

Lots of good info about undertones and color theory on this site:

http://www.mariakillam.com/blog

Edited by Momof3littles