Menu

Getting pdfs on iPad?

How do you get pdfs onto your iPad? How do you save books and workbooks (some of you mentioned SOWT and Singapore, etc) as pdfs? I saw the posts about Notability and it seems a great app, but I can't figure out step 1 of first getting the documents on the iPad. Then how do you store all of that?? I have dropbox on my desktop but have only used it once for some powerpoint presentations I had to share with a colleague. Any posts about step 1 of getting workbooks, onto iPad, storing, accessing and then with notability will it just become available on the pdfs or do you have to store them in that app?

How do you get pdfs onto your iPad? How do you save books and workbooks (some of you mentioned SOWT and Singapore, etc) as pdfs? I saw the posts about Notability and it seems a great app, but I can't figure out step 1 of first getting the documents on the iPad. Then how do you store all of that?? I have dropbox on my desktop but have only used it once for some powerpoint presentations I had to share with a colleague. Any posts about step 1 of getting workbooks, onto iPad, storing, accessing and then with notability will it just become available on the pdfs or do you have to store them in that app?

You need to copy and paste your PDF document into Dropbox. Or, if you don't care to have a copy of the same document on your desktop, then you can cut and paste it or drag it to Dropbox. Then from your iPad go to the Dropbox app and click on the document you would like to transfer to iBooks or Notability. Acurtis has transferred MM (I believe) to iBooks and Notability since the latter doesn't allow bookmarking. The transfer icon is on the top right corner of the Dropbox app. If you think you have enough storage space, there is no need to delete the documents from Dropbox (yet). So if you copy/paste and transfer without deleting any document, you could end up with a copy of the PDF on your desktop, in Dropbox, iBooks, and Notability. I haven't done enough downloading of PDFs to start deleting yet.

I believe SpyCar had a good post about working with Dropbox.

Are there really PDFs of Singapore Math???

thank you. so then do most of you open and access documents from dropbox or keep them on your iPad/desktop? i'm just wondering do you need internet access to be able to access dropbox. if so that would determine which documents i kept on my iPad? once its in notability does it save it into there or again do you open and save into dropbox?

thank you. so then do most of you open and access documents from dropbox or keep them on your iPad/desktop? i'm just wondering do you need internet access to be able to access dropbox. if so that would determine which documents i kept on my iPad? once its in notability does it save it into there or again do you open and save into dropbox?

Yes, you need an internet connection to access docs from Dropbox, so it's best to transfer as much to Notability or iBooks before you actually need them.

Once it's in Notability, it stays there and there's no need for wifi to open up documents there or in iBooks, which is why I've transferred the most important homeschool documents there just in case we are stranded, I can still teach. I haven't done much with MM yet, but Notability saves it for you and you don't need to move it back to Dropbox. I don't need DD to email me back MM, but if you need an email from your child of the completed work, then there is that option, but the original document, as far as I can tell, stays in Notability. I've tried it with a note where I made a sketch, emailed it someone else as a PDF, and my note has remained in Notability.

I don't plan to leave many documents in Dropbox because whatever is in there will be moved to iBooks or Notability. It's just very easy to copy documents from my laptop to Dropbox and then transfer them to iBooks on my iPad. But I still have the original documents on my laptop.

Maybe others here do things differently?

I use GoodReader ($4.99) on my ipad to download docs from my email. I open GoodReader, then go through it to my webmail. At every new webpage, the app asks me if I want to download. Very easy. I just used this yesterday so I would have my meeting documents at a location where I wasn't sure about wifi access.

If it's something you are accessing in the browser on the iPad you can just use the "open in" option at the top right of the screen. I do this to put pdf's in iBooks if I'm just going to read it or Notability if we need to write on it or both if we need both.

For things that are stored on my computer already I use Dropbox or email it to myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an iMac and I am planning to start KISS Grammar soon. I downloaded the workbook for 6th grade Level 1 and saved it as a pdf file. Then I downloaded Dropbox onto my computer as well as my ipad. Every time I try to drag the KISS pdf into the dropbox folder of my computer it says "The Document "KISS Grammar 6th grade Level 1 student pdf" could not be opened. Dropbox cannot open files in the "Preview Document" format. Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? I would love to use this to drag all the KISS stuff into the ipad. Thanks!

Oh, I also downloaded Notability and would love to have dd10 work on the KISS Grammar on the ipad, but since I can't get the file INTO the Dropbox I am at a loss. I can directly email the pdf just fine to my Kindle App on my iPad, but that isn't going to help me get it into Notability. HELP!!! please.. ;-)