Menu

Notgrass History

It is goes from ancient history up until the present and is broken down into 150 chapters. Each chapter has 5 lessons which include reading the lesson, questions for each lesson, and weekly writing assignments. Literature books are assigned, and a wonderful collection of primary source documents also comes with the program.

It is very easy to use and written in an engaging style.

~Sabrina

It is goes from ancient history up until the present and is broken down into 150 chapters. Each chapter has 5 lessons which include reading the lesson, questions for each lesson, and weekly writing assignments. Literature books are assigned, and a wonderful collection of primary source documents also comes with the program.

It is very easy to use and written in an engaging style.

~Sabrina

That's the one I meant, sorry!

so they can get a full credit for World History, another for World Literature and another for Bible, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Nograss is one of the considerations for us next year as well.

I have only looked at the World History and wouldn't consider the English or Bible portions to be worth a full credit. I would definitely add some type of grammar course (Analytical Grammar is a good value). Perhaps reading through the Old or NewTestament, using the Daily Bible or equivalent, and journaling would round out the Bible portion and keep it economical.

Denise

I have only looked at the World History and wouldn't consider the English or Bible portions to be worth a full credit.

Denise

I absolutely agree with you! We do a full Bible curriculum in addition to Notgrass and we only use their literature selections as part of our English. My dd reads many more literature selections and does her English separately from the Notgrass. I love the curriculum and I think the Notgrasses are the sweetest people, but calling that an English credit and a Bible credit is really pushing the envelope.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I'm in such a quandry regarding history. I often get about 3 hours of sleep so I can search the internet for many of the curriculum decisions I'm facing. I'm beginning to think those early homeschoolers had it easy bc they had so few choices in curriculum! I really need to order my stuff b4 vacation so it'll be here when I get back. Yikes!

I had almost decided on a plan (SL Core 100 for 8th grade ds and parts of SL3/4 for 6th and 3rd graders with possible Time Traveler's activities to give hands-on learning). I had thought we would all do the highly acclaimed Hakim series together. Now I discovered that (a) The History of the US is not a Christian text, and (b) that Notgrass' Exploring America looks really good.

Could Notgrass (the spine part of it, if there is one) be used with all three of my dc? I really like that Notgrass integrates Bible and writing assignments with the history, not to mention the primary source documents that are included - LOVE that part! I would reserve the Bible, writing, literature part of Notgrass only for my oldest. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Diane

• 7 months later...
Hi, I'm in such a quandry regarding history. I often get about 3 hours of sleep so I can search the internet for many of the curriculum decisions I'm facing. I'm beginning to think those early homeschoolers had it easy bc they had so few choices in curriculum! I really need to order my stuff b4 vacation so it'll be here when I get back. Yikes!

I had almost decided on a plan (SL Core 100 for 8th grade ds and parts of SL3/4 for 6th and 3rd graders with possible Time Traveler's activities to give hands-on learning). I had thought we would all do the highly acclaimed Hakim series together. Now I discovered that (a) The History of the US is not a Christian text, and (b) that Notgrass' Exploring America looks really good.

Could Notgrass (the spine part of it, if there is one) be used with all three of my dc? I really like that Notgrass integrates Bible and writing assignments with the history, not to mention the primary source documents that are included - LOVE that part! I would reserve the Bible, writing, literature part of Notgrass only for my oldest. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Diane

I am not sure my younger ones would understand all of what my 9th grader is learning doing the World History from Notgrass but my 5th and 6th graders are doing the Elections program from Notgrass and we are really enjoying it. I would think it would go great with your American History. I tried to do SL100 and SL 3/4 2 years ago and that was a disaster for me. I am sure there are families that can do it we just couldn't. Well I couldn't.

Diane

I'm using SL core 100 now. Your right, History of US is not Christian but SL is. So the SL guide keeps us on the right path.

so they can get a full credit for World History, another for World Literature and another for Bible, correct?

I've also been looking into Notgrass World History for my rising 9th & 8th graders. (and yes I too have a 9 year old but also have a 4 yr old). I thought that it offered 3 credits also for hist/lit/bible. hmm wonder if I got that from their website or from a posting. Anyway, they suggest about 3 hrs a day, 5 days a week. It seems the questions are more focused on comprehension then what I'm looking for (which are dialectic and rhetorical). I was thinking of doing 1/2 of it and supplementing with additional reading (of history bks I already have as they line up with the notgrass spine plus some literature book with Teaching the Classics for discussions). I'm not yet sure but I might just go with Omnibus I. (at least that's todays current thinking :lol: )

Do you have your child answer all of the review questions in a notebook or do you do them orally?

Thanks,

Marcie

My dd is doing Notgrass American history this year, and she started out writing the answers to the questions in a notebook, studying, then taking the tests. However.....there a LOT of typos in the questions/tests, as in to the point of frustration (but it's also silly if you giggle about it).

Anyhoo, dd liked the actual text but wasn't retaining much going the question route, so I had her switch to outlining each lesson. This is working much, much better. She loves the text as it's interesting and informative, and outlining has helped her to remember the material way, way better.

We still do the every-five-chapters test (not the quizzes), and all she does is study her outlines and she does great.

I absolutely agree with you! We do a full Bible curriculum in addition to Notgrass and we only use their literature selections as part of our English. My dd reads many more literature selections and does her English separately from the Notgrass. I love the curriculum and I think the Notgrasses are the sweetest people, but calling that an English credit and a Bible credit is really pushing the envelope.

:iagree: This is what we do as well with the literature section. Notgrass has simply NO literary analysis whatsoever. I don't know how they can say it's a complete English credit. So...we just do it a little differently. Problem solved.