Menu

What has been your biggest curriculum

Wins:

Classical Writing --- while my dd is good with languages, I know she would not have the rich vocabulary, good sentence structure and logical sequencing without it. I'm very happy! :hurray:

New Chardenal French ----- teaches French in a orderly manner and is able to move through more material faster because of its teaching style. Love it! :001_wub:

Henle Latin ---- thank goodness! Finally here is a program that approaches Latin in a sensible manner and focusses on the syntax without trying to jam in tons of vocabulary that the student doesn't know how to use because they haven't had the translation practice. Again Henle has a logical easy to follow progression

The Fallacy Detective ------ a fun read. As she learns, it's amusing to see her point out these fallacies in everyday life.

Philosophy for Kids ------- lots of great discussions

I am really enjoying using more and more "vintage" programs!

Sort of a Bust:

OSU German II ----- I probably shouldn't classify it as a bust. It is WONDERFUL for practicing the speaking and comprehension components of the language but the lack of sequential and clear grammar instruction has been a source of irritation all year. At times I will do the lesson with my dd and be unclear myself as to what they want. Sigh! That said, my dd has made solid progression with her speaking, etc. and I have taken a recommendation from another mom on the board and bought German in Review as a supplement. It looks good and with the two, hopefully the frustration will disappear.

Can I ask why Henle didn't work? We've been using it here for about 3 months and it's a big hit. Just curious.

My dc who used Henle (my oldest 3) ended up with a Latin education that was significantly inferior to the Latin education my dc who used Wheelock's with a tutor/online class received. Besides that, the Henle users ended up hating Latin. Latin is the one class I'm happy to outsource to someone who can teach Wheelock's, which is IMO a more engaging, thorough text.

My dc who used Henle (my oldest 3) ended up with a Latin education that was significantly inferior to the Latin education my dc who used Wheelock's with a tutor/online class received. Besides that, the Henle users ended up hating Latin. Latin is the one class I'm happy to outsource to someone who can teach Wheelock's, which is IMO a more engaging, thorough text.

I've noticed this trend in a few other Latin threads that I've been following. Students seem to like Henle I & II but when they reach Henle III they are starting to get bored. Wheelocks comes highly recommended and I've also seen some of the Bolchazy Carducci materials recommended.

Luann, what online class did your dc take (the one that used Wheelocks)?