Menu

Style help - I finally have a chance to dress up; should I wear pantyhose in winter?

I haven't had many opportunities to dress up lately and I feel kind of out of the style loop right now. I wear casual dresses/skirts a lot, but with flats. We are going to a Christmas dinner--kind of dressy, but in no way formal--and I'm planning to wear a little sheath dress possibly with a cardigan over it and heels. I know tights have been "in" more lately, but this is not the dress/shoes to wear tights with. We live in a warmer climate, so the no-pantyhose fad has gone easily here...however, it is winter/Christmas and will probably be colder (30's-40's?) that evening...the girls on the news still aren't wearing any hose (the only place I get to see ladies in nicer dresses lately :lol:)...but am I supposed to wear them in winter?? Not that they do much for warmth, but is it strange to see bare legs in winter?? Help a girl out? I don't know what's "cool" anymore. :001_huh:

FYI: I'm still young-ish and have a pretty nice figure/slender legs. :blushing:

P.S. I do know that many people still wear them, especially for certain business attire, but what about parties/festivities?

ETA: So for those of you who suggest hose, what kind/color would you suggest? Dress is subtle herringbone pattern but looks mostly gray from any distance. Sheer black??

Edited by Amie

I would say yes, dresses in winter, worn in evening, with heels (not sandals) get panty hose. You can get hose in department stores that are literally invisible on your legs, and they have some very sheer options with a bit of festive shimmer (not glitter).

I've heard the fashion folks say that panty hose is fine to wear if it has some appearance. They are really against skin-color hose. So, I'm sure you will be fashionable if you wear black or colored-hose or textures/pattern hose. I'd quote one of the fashion people if I could remember his name (bit of a migraine today so memory gets out of whack). If I think about it I will. It was a famous guy.

I've heard the fashion folks say that panty hose is fine to wear if it has some appearance. They are really against skin-color hose. So, I'm sure you will be fashionable if you wear black or colored-hose or textures/pattern hose. I'd quote one of the fashion people if I could remember his name (bit of a migraine today so memory gets out of whack). If I think about it I will. It was a famous guy.

I agree with this - but if you want to wear it do, if not don't. Have fun! :)

Forgot to ask, what kind of shoes are you wearing?

Probably very simple, ordinary black high heels--unless I see something else while I'm out shopping tonight.;)

ETA: I'm sorry, but I can't stand those "booty" shoes and such that are so popular right now! I'm having shoe issues...

Nordstroms shows sheer grey and shimmer leg colored as mentioned above.

Ya know, I should probably look through a few places like Nordstrom online to see what kind of colors/options get offered these days. Thanks for the idea.

And thanks to everyone else so far for your suggestions! I wish I could be your virtual paper doll! :lol:

Black shoes and black tights go nicely together.

I wore these with black tights and a simple navy blue dress and it was fabulous.

If you are wearing black shoes I WOULD NOT wear a different color tight/panty hose, other than nude. A seamless color, including your shoes, will make your legs look long while a different colored shoe than your hosiery looks choppy. I would maybe, wear grey if the dress was grey.

That's what I would go with, or super sheer black.

Thanks, that sounds/looks good. So these would probably be too distracting?

:lol: Oh my goodness.

Black shoes and black tights go nicely together.

I wore these with black tights and a simple navy blue dress and it was fabulous.

If you are wearing black shoes I WOULD NOT wear a different color tight/panty hose, other than nude. A seamless color, including your shoes, will make your legs look long while a different colored shoe than your hosiery looks choppy. I would maybe, wear grey if the dress was grey.

Thank you, and I would agree on the color idea. I used to wear hose a lot, but that's been quite a while back, and did I mention it is usually pretty hot here? I probably should have clarified my own definition of "tights". I'm seeing a lot of things online called tights, and I guess I had a much thicker (often patterned) picture in mind from my younger years. So I agree, a lot of these "tights" would work with my shoes, I just wasn't sure how opaque or sheer I should go or not go?

Thanks, that sounds/looks good. So these would probably be too distracting?

:lol: Oh my goodness.

Thank you, and I would agree on the color idea. I used to wear hose a lot, but that's been quite a while back, and did I mention it is usually pretty hot here? I probably should have clarified my own definition of "tights". I'm seeing a lot of things online called tights, and I guess I had a much thicker (often patterned) picture in mind from my younger years. So I agree, a lot of these "tights" would work with my shoes, I just wasn't sure how opaque or sheer I should go or not go?

You save those tights for after the dinner party at home :tongue_smilie:

You save those tights for after the dinner party at home :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

Well the kids will be spending the night at the grandparents' that night...

My feet hurt just looking at the picture of those shoes. :D

I'm not brave enough to go out in those yet. :D

So if I wear them, the question is what kind/color? Dress is herringbone pattern, but looks mostly gray from any distance. Tights won't work with this kind of shoe...so sheer black??

Sheer jet black - not plain 'ol black, not kinda grey-black....jet black! Once one your legs, they'll look great!

I think that nude hose are out and that any other would work. I also think that hose and open toe shoes are a no-no.

OK, no nudes, and I totally agree on the open toes!

Sheer jet black - not plain 'ol black, not kinda grey-black....jet black! Once one your legs, they'll look great!

Thanks!

You guys are all great! Where else can I get so many answers to so many questions so fast?!