Menu

Need a Christian book recommendation

My cousin was recently in a serious auto accident, where she almost lost her life. She is going through a depression and is thinking of going through counseling. She is not a Christian.

I would like to give her an encouraging book, one that might gently point her to Christ.

Any ideas?

My brother was in a serious truck accident 11 years ago and also almost lost his life. He suffered partial paralysis in his legs and must use a walker and braces in order to walk. After the accident, he went through a depression for a while---it was very difficult for him. He was the type of person who was extremely active outdoors.

When this happened, he was in Montana and I was here, in Missouri. The whole situation made me feel very "helpless," and at the time my husband had just started his own law firm, I had a newborn, and we had no money to go out and see him. So, I wrote to him daily, or almost every day, and tried to call him once or twice a week, as I was able.

Strangely enough, about a month before the accident, I was at our local library and found this biography and read it.

Rise and Walk: The Trial and Triumph of Dennis Byrd

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Walk-Trial-Triumph-Dennis/dp/0060177837

It was more than coincidental, I thought, that I read this book shortly before his accident. I believe I passed it along to him, but I had read it first. I'm not really a "sports" person, either, although I love reading biographies. Dennis Byrd suffered paralysis from the neck down during a football game while he played for the New York Jets, I believe. Shortly after his injury, an experimental drug called Sygen (again, this is off the top of my head) was used on him. It only works with certain levels of paralysis (such as C-4 to C-6) and not other types (such as L-4 or whatever). However, the book was so appropriate at the time that it encouraged me and him.

However, this might not fit the bill for your cousin. I would also recommend Lee Strobel's The Case for Faith:

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Faith-Lee-Strobel/dp/0310235081/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212784583&sr=8-2

This one would be more "direct," I would say.

You might also consider looking through this list of Christian biographies I pulled up from Christian Book Distributors. Sometimes a biography of someone who's been in an extremely difficult situation and found hope and healing is more encouraging to a person in a similar situation than being "preached at," if you know what I mean. I know that there were certain times in my life I would not have wanted to read certain books, like C.S. Lewis's The Problem of Pain, or The Release of the Spirit by Watchman Nee. These deal with very difficult subjects which have sometimes troubled believers and unbelievers alike, and sometimes the probing of the theology behind why these things happen is simply too much for someone.

Here's the list of biographies by category (I think the category was "courage and hope") from CBD:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=737062&sp=1035

I hope this helps. This list may not be a "home run," but may provide you with further food for thought.

Blessings to you and your dear cousin.

The Hawk and the Dove by Penelope Wilcock. It sounds odd but it's a story about a 13th century monk in England. The underlying theme is dealing with pain and suffering in the lives of believers; not depressing in any way however. It's fictional but really good. You can read the reviews on Amazon as well. Just be sure to pick this book and not the romance novel w/ the same name. :D

Sometimes a biography of someone who's been in an extremely difficult situation and found hope and healing is more encouraging to a person in a similar situation than being "preached at," if you know what I mean. I know that there were certain times in my life I would not have wanted to read certain books, like C.S. Lewis's The Problem of Pain, or The Release of the Spirit by Watchman Nee. These deal with very difficult subjects which have sometimes troubled believers and unbelievers alike, and sometimes the probing of the theology behind why these things happen is simply too much for someone.

Michelle, thanks for your insights and recommendations. I totally agree, that a heavy theological book wouldn't be appropriate for her right now, especially since we've never really had any spiritual conversations of substantial length up till this point.

I like your idea of a biography and will pray for an idea.

The Hawk and the Dove by Penelope Wilcock. It sounds odd but it's a story about a 13th century monk in England. The underlying theme is dealing with pain and suffering in the lives of believers; not depressing in any way however. It's fictional but really good. You can read the reviews on Amazon as well. Just be sure to pick this book and not the romance novel w/ the same name. :D

Tiffany, this is one of my favorite books of ALL time! I've actually given it to several friends as gifts.

I'll have to give more thought as to whether this one would be right for her...she may miss the depth of it being a nonbeliever. Thanks for the suggestion!

Don't short change your friend, just because she's a nonbeliever! During our 'low points' is usually when we get the depth the most...if that makes sense! If you think she'd enjoy the book, after praying about it, give it to her and let God work the miracle! I've been around too many instances of nonbelievers having more insight than I do sometimes!

I recently sent "Suffering and the Sovereignty of God" by John Piper to my cousin who is in federal prison camp. Even though he is not a strong follower at this point, he wrote to me and was very appreciative of the book. You might also consider telling her to read the Psalms.