Menu

Scotch Laminator on sale $16.99 on Amazon now!

You need it.

That's what he says, but--why? I rarely laminate anything, & when I do, it's almost never less than 11x9.

I WANT to want it, really. I just...don't. But I think you're the one who convinced me I needed a circa punch a few years ago, so...wait a minute. Now that I think of it...lalalala...I'm not listening to you! :lol:

That's what he says, but--why? I rarely laminate anything, & when I do, it's almost never less than 11x9.

I WANT to want it, really. I just...don't. But I think you're the one who convinced me I needed a circa punch a few years ago, so...wait a minute. Now that I think of it...lalalala...I'm not listening to you! :lol:

That was a whole lot of us! And I think others were more convincing than me!

What about flashcards? Preschool manipulatives? Reference charts? Calendars? Paper to make covers for your Circa books? Handwriting practice sheets for the littles?

I've laminated flash cards, bookmarks, business/professional cards, etc. My wife said recently that she would find it useful for her teaching.

The only time I laminated something recently, I made three hand-made bookmarks for DS6 and had it done at Staples. It was $2 to laminate the three items on one sheet. I know I won't be making hundreds of bookmarks, but am hopeful that between us the laminator will pay for itself pretty quickly.

One thing that seems to go along with a laminator is some kind of cutter/trimmer. We have a cheap paper trimmer with a razor-blad slider that I used to cut out those bookmarks recently (the Staples clerk just handed me the big sheet and told me I could cut them myself), and it worked pretty well, definitely better than scissors. I need to get replacement blades for it, though. Something else to consider.

That was a whole lot of us! And I think others were more convincing than me!

What about flashcards? Preschool manipulatives? Reference charts? Calendars? Paper to make covers for your Circa books? Handwriting practice sheets for the littles?

In defense of the circa--I held out at least a year before suggesting it for my birthday. :D

The laminator--that all sounds like a bunch of stuff to spend time making & then not use. :lol: Chore charts are tempting, though.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I've used the laminator. I was underwhelmed by the Scotch-brand 3 mil laminating pouches I bought, IIRC 50 for around $11, apparently of the same type as come with the laminator. They're too thin to be rigid enough for my tastes, were not very clear, and the laminator left a fair number of bubbles in between the sheets. I learned from the clerk at Staples that the thickness they'd used previously when laminating items for me was 10 mil, so I bought some glossy ones at that thickness. Will report back.

Okay, I've used the laminator. I was underwhelmed by the Scotch-brand 3 mil laminating pouches I bought, IIRC 50 for around $11, apparently of the same type as come with the laminator. They're too thin to be rigid enough for my tastes, were not very clear, and the laminator left a fair number of bubbles in between the sheets. I learned from the clerk at Staples that the thickness they'd used previously when laminating items for me was 10 mil, so I bought some glossy ones at that thickness. Will report back.

I use cardstock to print on when I want them very stiff.