Menu

Pros/Cons on Top loader/Front loader washers?

You want an HE (high efficiency) powder. I chose Charlie's Soap because I needed it fragrance free. It's dirt cheap, lasts FOREVER, and my stuff seems clean enough. But yes, I think any HE powder will be better than an HE liquid (in general) on the biofilm/mold issue, or at least that's what I read. But google it yourself. Find the detergent you want to use and type it in along with front loader mold and see what pops up.

My SIL uses a HE powder you buy from Sears in large buckets. Super cheap, again works fine. Just happens to be fragranced, so I didn't buy it.

"There's nothing in the machine itself to make holes."

I was just told last night at Best Buy there are multiple places on the machines that could cause this. After further inspection I now see the top ring which is plastic, has begun to crack. Running my finger along the edge has shown there are indeed some spots that may be the culprit. If the clothes can get that high???

I never had problems with holes before this washer. While I give merit to your zipper idea, it's not the culprit. I've only had these holes with the top loader but we can agree to disagree.:)

My machine has no cracks or sharp spots anywhere. It was one of the first things I checked. Some people have said the holes could be sharp, so I checked them. I rubbed my hand over where the water comes out (which they've put rubber over to keep the clothes off), etc. Nothing is sharp. Mine is a whirlpool. But absolutely check. If the brand you're considering has sharp spots inside, you don't want that. Sounds like in your case you need a repair, since something is cracking and creating sharp spots.