Menu

If you were going to turn a bathroom into a science lab,

what would you put in it?

This is the kids' bathroom - they are 8, 6, and 2, so I need it to be safe for the Little Guy. Full bath, though the tub is currently being used for storage.

In my mind I have this neat idea, but - it might not really work out.

I was thinking about a mural depicting a pond life scene (one one side) and on the other side a water treatment process? (the one I'm imagining is cute, not nasty)

That sounds awful. :tongue_smilie:

I guess I want it to be a place they can LEAVE (messy) experiments, or thing that take time.

I also want them to profit from the huge amount of time they seem to spend in there - I experimented on them by hanging up things on the wall for a week, and after a week, all of them (except the baby) could quote it from memory. Haha!

I don't really have a specific, dead-set idea in my head . . . which is why I'm trying to collect ideas here.

Stuff we've done in the kitchen that I'd love to move to the "lab" - blowing up a balloon using the gas from a vinegar / baking soda mix in a water bottle, the celery that takes up colored water, soaking the gummi bears to see if they do indeed expand, etc.

I don't mind if they make a mess in there.

Well it would be easy enough to create an observation area to put ongoing experiments/activities. You could just not put anything in that would be dangerous for the little one; leave those things in the place they stay now.

I might also be tempted to create an "interesting" washtub with things they could manipulate and use to make discoveries and observations that could have a permanent home in the bathroom.

I would also want the periodic table shower curtain, and to turn those plastic test tubes into toothbrush holders. You could also create a dedicated area on the wall to hang laminated posters containing info. you wanted studied.

Edited by BLA5

Oh, I love those ideas! I did have that periodic table shower curtain in mind. (But are 8, 8, and 6yo too little for the periodic table?)

We raise chickens, so a few times out of the year we have baby chicks in the bathtub (I know! LOL!) for a few weeks at a time - I was thinking of maybe a hermit crab in a cage or a fish or something in there, too. That would be a HUGE HIT with the 6yo.

I want to encourage curiosity, and - it's the best room in the house, currently. There is a window there, but it is too high for them to see out of.

I thought maybe about a constellation or two on the ceiling.

Oh, I love those ideas! I did have that periodic table shower curtain in mind. (But are 8, 8, and 6yo too little for the periodic table?)

No way! You're never too young! I'm actually irritated at how long it takes for schools to introduce the periodic table...so long that we're all afraid of it by the time we ever see it. I think it should be up there with the ABCs and 123s. Kid has a question about water? Oh, that's made up of this element and this element. Kid finds a great rock or sees a cool neon sign. Oh, look here and here. Everything in the world is made up of the elements on that chart. Therefore, the chart itself should be elementary learning.

That's it for my rant. :tongue_smilie:

For the window I would get one of those see through plant growing things, or just get some clear plastic cups and plant some seeds.

For the counter I would put a plastic balance so they can have fun with it.

Keep a drawer(or basket) with magnifying glass and nature finds.

My kids do a lot of reading in the bathroom, so I would have a book basket with science catalogs, magazines, and books. The books would be on a theme, such as reptiles, magnets, weather, and so on. I would change these weekly or bi-weekly.

Maybe get some squirt bottles and fill them with different color water and test tubes in a holder.

This is a great idea you have, I wish we had this for the boys when they were younger. They would have loved it.