Menu

learning disability--possible to change degree requirements b/c of one?

Chris in VA

Ds is having an extremely hard time learning a foreign language (Spanish). He had a really hard time in (homeschooled) high school, too. He got away with C's, but the requirements were, admittedly, quite low.

I think he actually may have a learning disability WRT learning foreign languages.

His college requires 4 semesters of a foreign lang to graduate. Do you think there's a chance (or, have you ever heard of...)he could somehow get a pass and just substitute another class/classes for the foreign lang requirement? We could get him tested, but I don't really even know what to ask for in the testing! He is an Aspie, but not diagnosed officially. He did have major testing (Psycho-educational) done when he was about 6. Back then, they didn't know a lot about Asperger's.

Ds is having an extremely hard time learning a foreign language (Spanish). He had a really hard time in (homeschooled) high school, too. He got away with C's, but the requirements were, admittedly, quite low.

I think he actually may have a learning disability WRT learning foreign languages.

His college requires 4 semesters of a foreign lang to graduate. Do you think there's a chance (or, have you ever heard of...)he could somehow get a pass and just substitute another class/classes for the foreign lang requirement? We could get him tested, but I don't really even know what to ask for in the testing! He is an Aspie, but not diagnosed officially. He did have major testing (Psycho-educational) done when he was about 6. Back then, they didn't know a lot about Asperger's.

Having an official diagnosis of Aspergers is not going to eliminate any required courses. FWIW, the only accommodations ds qualifies as an Aspie are the same generic accommodations that are generally available: extra time ( 1 1/2 x), quiet testing area, laptop for taking notes, recorder during class lectures. Other accommodations available that my ds does not qualify for are things like text "reader" for dyslexics. But there are no class substitutions for degree requirements.

IIRC, your ds attends VCU, correct? Perhaps another option might be taking the foreign language requirements at one of the 2 local CC (J Sarg or JTCC). Our experience is that CC courses are much easier than standard university courses. Many of the CCs also have 2 hrs of free tutoring/wk/class.

HTH

He can always ask. I was surprised at some of the adjustments made to requirements at the college where I worked many a long year ago. But it would be best for HIM to do it, as students who act like independnt adults are taken more seriously than those who still rely on their parents to fight their battles, and he would need to make a good, solid, logical case for why the exception should be made. An official diagnosis would definitely go over better than a self-diagnosis. Also, he should have a serious suggestion as to which classes he would substitute, and be able to explain how they fill a similar purpose in rounding out his education.

Hmm, it's actually pretty hard usually to get an entirely different course substituted rather than accommodations made in one of the required courses. This goes double for self-diagnosis rather than formal diagnosis.

If he does decide to seek this, I would a) have him advocate for himself and b) consult with the disability services on campus to see whether it is possible, and furthermore what types of testing he would need for a diagnosis.

Hmm, it's actually pretty hard usually to get an entirely different course substituted rather than accommodations made in one of the required courses. This goes double for self-diagnosis rather than formal diagnosis.

If he does decide to seek this, I would a) have him advocate for himself and b) consult with the disability services on campus to see whether it is possible, and furthermore what types of testing he would need for a diagnosis.

I will say that the disability office and, thus, professors are open to our ds having an outside advocate. HOWEVER, our ds does have a formal diagnosis and w/the paperwork that accompanies his diagnosis is the explanation that he does struggle w/ understanding how to respond/interpret answers to questions and that an advocate aids him in getting beyond his anxiety and poor communication skills.

But again, I really cannot imagine an Asperger's diagnosis altering degree requirements to the extent proposed by the OP.

Yes. I should've said "if possible"

Chris, is this the ds at VCU? I looked at their website here:

http://www.students.vcu.edu/dss/resources/for_students.html

and it does list course substitutions.

I will add that some universities will allow you to substitute english-language courses in the culture and history of another country if you have a qualified disability. Some won't. So he really needs to go to the department of disability services and ask.

My ds is a college junior and has taken 3 semesters of French. First semester had to be repeated due to a poor grade; second semester, he made it out with a "C". He is now winding down his third semester and is not doing well. It is not due to lack of trying. He has studied, attended every class, and consulted with the prof many times. Last month, while talking to his prof, again, the prof suggested a test for him to see if he has a learning disability for foreign language, the Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT). Ds has since taken this test and is currently working with the disabilities office at his school. If it is determined he has a disability, then the university will have him take substitute courses. I believe there has to be some problem with him learning a foreign language. He gets A's and B's in all of his other courses. He's a technical writing major, so English isn't a problem.

I suggest getting your ds to take the test and work with the disabilities office at his school.

Good luck.

Diann

Back in the dark ages when I was in college at Baylor, I was successful in petitioning to have 2 semesters of 2 different languages replace the 4 semester single-language requirement. Year 2 of the language study was Conversational (no books) and I was unable to pass the class - I knew the words and grammer, but couldn't form sentances on the fly. I would have to write down my responses and then read it aloud. I had a professor who was willing to write a letter that I was hopeless after 3 months of working with me. I had to petition the dean of the college, but it wasn't a big deal.

Maybe that would be an option for your son? Instead of dropping the requirement - substitute something else?

My ds is a college junior and has taken 3 semesters of French. First semester had to be repeated due to a poor grade; second semester, he made it out with a "C". He is now winding down his third semester and is not doing well. It is not due to lack of trying. He has studied, attended every class, and consulted with the prof many times. Last month, while talking to his prof, again, the prof suggested a test for him to see if he has a learning disability for foreign language, the Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT). Ds has since taken this test and is currently working with the disabilities office at his school. If it is determined he has a disability, then the university will have him take substitute courses. I believe there has to be some problem with him learning a foreign language. He gets A's and B's in all of his other courses. He's a technical writing major, so English isn't a problem.

I suggest getting your ds to take the test and work with the disabilities office at his school.

Good luck.

Diann

This sounds like an excellent suggestion!! I would definitely pursue this route before spending thousands of dollars on diagnostic testing for an Asperger's diagnosis. The disability office may even provide this testing!

Good luck. I hope this suggestion works out for your ds.