Menu

looking for checklist of knowledge or topics

I know it is impossible to cover everything, but one of my attractions to WTM homeschooling and afterschooling has been the possibility of exposing my kids to more in the canon (expanded beyond what it used to be) than they would get in public school. I realize this is some of what the Core Knowledge folks are about, and I've looked at some of the "What Your x Grader Needs to Know" series over the years.

What I'm looking for right now is some sort of book or document that covers the topics (or books, art, music, whatever) that a child should be exposed to over the years. It is fine for it to cover skills, but my focus is more having a place to document what I've done with each child over the years. Even though I only have 2, I sometimes forget which child and l read books on a certain topic, for example.

I seem to remember someone having a book like this and noting kids' initials in it, for example. But I can't seem to find it in a search. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/mimik_uploads/documents/480/CKFSequence_Rev.pdf

but I still think there's something else out there that someone else has mentioned.

I used the Core Knowledge Sequence which you linked. In addition, I also referred to The Educated Child: A Parent's Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade by Bennett, Finn, Cribb. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Educated-Child-Parents-Preschool-Through/dp/0684872722

This might sound obvious, but have you looked at your state's standards? The two states that I'm familiar with have very detailed standards at every grade level. You could print out a three year spread, and that would give you some good info. I did that with my son for math last year and it worked out well.

I also like the Rebecca Rupp book mentioned above.

There is also an out of print book by Teresa Moon which might fit the bill.

Evaluating for Excellence: A Handbook for Evaluating Student Progress

There are inexpensive used copies available at Amazon.

I have no first hand knowledge of this book, but it might also be of interest if you are a faith based homeschooler.

What Your Child Needs to Know When: According to the Bible, According to the State: with Evaluation Check Lists for Grades K-8 by Robin Sampson

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni