Menu

Pizza sauce how to

I made homemade pizzas tonight. The kids said the sauce tasted like spaghetti sauce -- they didn't like it very much, although they did eat the pizzas.

I put in a large (28 oz.?) can of tomato sauce, 6 oz. tomato paste, garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary, and 1/3 c olive oil. Mixed it, let it sit for the flavors to blend. This was a recipe that got tons of 5-star reviews at allrecipes.com.

How did I mess this up? Ideally, I'd like it to taste like the sauce in Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee's Cheese Pizza kit, because I could drink that stuff I like it so much.

Aside from Chef Boy, though, what should I do differently next time -- which will probably be tomorrow since I have a crew of pizza lovers here.

Thanks,

RC

I don't know what the Chef Boyardee tastes like, so this may not be helpful.

We like our pizza sauce a bit spicy. Just a tiny bit of zesty zing...

Here's the recipe I use:

28 oz. crushed tomatoes

1/4 t. crushed red pepper

1/2 t. onion powder

1/2 t. black pepper

1/2 t. salt

1 t. dried italian seasoning

2 cloves garlic or 1/2 t. garlic powder

1 t. brown sugar.

Stir all of these together, without cooking.

Top your pizza, and bake.

I made homemade pizzas tonight. The kids said the sauce tasted like spaghetti sauce -- they didn't like it very much, although they did eat the pizzas.

I put in a large (28 oz.?) can of tomato sauce, 6 oz. tomato paste, garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary, and 1/3 c olive oil. Mixed it, let it sit for the flavors to blend. This was a recipe that got tons of 5-star reviews at allrecipes.com.

How did I mess this up? Ideally, I'd like it to taste like the sauce in Chef-Boy-Ar-Dee's Cheese Pizza kit, because I could drink that stuff I like it so much.

Aside from Chef Boy, though, what should I do differently next time -- which will probably be tomorrow since I have a crew of pizza lovers here.

Thanks,

RC

Add sugar? Pizza sauce is usually thick and a little sweeter than spaghetti sauce, I think.

Barb

Thanks. There is a Target about 1/2 hour away that carries that, according to the ConAgra website. I searched for a recipe for it last night for a long time, and didn't find one. Next I am going to check their ingredients.

I wonder if the taste of their sauce is affected by the canning process. Maybe I should try using their ingredients and cooking the sauce before I add it to the pizza.

If you find one that tastes like that, let me know please! I love that one too. I can get cans of it at Target! Now I don't have to buy to whole kit. Just an FYI in case you are interested in looking for the cans.

Thank you all for the recipes and suggestions, all of which I am going to try.

I am working on finding a pizza recipe that the kids think tastes as good as restaurant, frozen and kit pizza. It's the one food everyone loves and it is expensive at my kids' rates of consumption -- hence my project.

RC

I loooooovvvvveeee Chef Boy-R-Dee pizza sauce as well and while this isn't exactly like that, we love it and everyone else who has tried it has said the same. (Also, don't be tempted to leave out the sugar or salt...I've tried both and bleh....)

2- 8 oz. cans tomato sauce (has to be sauce, not paste)

2 T. Italian seasoning

1/2 T. sugar

1 tsp. salt

1/4 C. parmesan cheese

1/8 C. oil